Awesome Metallica show in Iceland!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    OK, I didn´t quite feel that this belongs in bass humor&gig stories so here goes...

I´ve been an avid Metallica fan since 1988, about the time when ...and justice for all... was released. Anyway, I had never seen them live until last night and frankly I had lost all hope that I´d ever see them live.

In may it was announced that Metallica would end their tour here in Iceland :hyper:

I of course bought a ticket and at last the concert was last night! This is the biggest rockshow that has ever been held in Iceland. Out of approx. 293.000 Icelanders, 18.000 of them went to this concert.

The concert was the best freaking concert I´ve ever been to!
    They played all of their best stuff and I simply could not belive what I was hearing!

Here is the set list:
    Harvester Of Sorrow
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    St. Anger
    Sad But True
    Creeping Death
    Fade To Black
    Wherever I May Roam
    Nothing Else Matters
    Master of Puppets
    Enter Sandman
    Seek And Destroy

I was quite surprised that their live performance was absolutely terrific! Kirk nailed the solos, Lars and Rob were solid and James´s voice was excellent! We got two solos from Kirk and a bass solo from Rob! :bassist:
    I haven´t jumped, sung and had so much fun at a concert ever. I was absolutely drenched after the concert.. phew..

Here´s a pic from last night from their Metontour site:

I was a wee bit disappointed with the crowd though... about 3/4 of the crowd applauded immensly at every song from the Black album, and when they played from Kill'em all, Lighting, Puppets and Justice, many people went: Huh?
    Lamers! Those songs didn´t get as much applause and recognition as the songs from Black album :( Oh well.... Not true fans evidently ;)

Bah, I just wanted to share.. I am definately buying the concert on when it is available in a couple of weeks!

OK, just had to let out my excitement, I´m done now! :D :hyper: :bassist:
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Awesome. I have seen them twice and the were very tight musically.

That, and they played No Leaf Clover which besides Outlaw Torn is my favorite new song of theirs.

I enjoy everything they have ever recording.
  3. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Man, I wish I could get tickets, I would love to see them. Tell me, was the bass solo any good? Does it compare to the likes of Jason or Cliff? And by the way, minus 'Frantic', that is one awesome set list man! Sweet. :)

Graeme :bassist:
  4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    His bass solo was actually quite good.
    He began with a kind of percussion solo which was very cool, improvd a little, broke out into Cliff´s solo in Orion, improvd a little more and did some more percussion solo and he ended the solo with the beggining of the song For Whom the Bell Tolls and they just took the song from there.
    Very, very cool!

I can´t compare his solo with Cliffs or Jasons, they all have their own style so, their is no comparison to be made.
  5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I would just like to say that I think their older cd's are better, Justice is my favourite.. :þ
    And I loved the show! They are fantastic live.
  6. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    Sounds like a nice setlist. It also seems you're going through what I went through after coming back from the Flecktones last week. :cool:
  7. Icelandians, in the venue, didcha stand all the time, or did you have chairs to sit and stand on?
  8. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Been a fan for years, didn't even cross my brain going on this concert. They're just not the same without Jason. Also 90% of the people who go to concerts here in Iceland are posers. Lemme ask you Ívar: How many of the people who were wearing a Metallica t-shirt had a brand new, fresh off the rack t-shirt?? I bet ya that you'll see the same people that were on the Metallica concert on the Pink concert in.....what july?? august??

just my 2 krónur;)

Glad you enjoyed yourself on the concert though:D

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Metallica are at the top of their game right now and they are tearing it up :bassist: . I saw the two night in NY and it did the trick for me. I really should get those concerts on live met. I am glad you enjoyed the show.
  10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    95% were standing. There were some seats to the sides, that´s all.

Why not see them with Rob on bass? He did a very good job, even swung the bass like mad in their second last song or so, very cool stuff to see :)
    I´ve been an avid Metfan since 1988, the pre-black albums are their best. Puppets is my favorite.

Yet I wore a brand-new-off-the-rack-T-shirt. Does that me a poser or a bad person? :meh:
    I did not own a Metshirt so I decided to get on there. I must be a poser then :)

But seriously, you could tell that alot of people were there just because it was a concert. It basically could have been any band in the world.

I on the other hand have a sore throat today after singing along every single song they played. Fun stuff! Fun stuff indeed! :hyper:

Yup, dayumn they´re good! Two songs from St.Anger, one from Re-load, four from the black album and ten songs from the pre-black era. I could not have asked for more! They absolutely rocked!!
  11. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Hey Ívar, I simply an too stubborn to give that poor man a chance;) I thought that Jason was the guy who had the best stage presence in the world, energetic, positive and basically the man who hold the band together live with his stage performance.

Yeah you're a frickin poser you are;) I'm basically talking about all the chocos who think they're rockers because they own tha black album and Use your illusion II and say that they are hard rockers because they listen to GN'R and Metallica but drive around in their Subaru Impreza with their boom box in the back playing the latest Scooter single;) (don't tell me you got a Subaru Impreza also) :D

My take on Metallica nowadays is a weird love/hate thing, I consider myself still a fan but I can't get over the fact that there's one guy missing:(

+1, Jason is the Man.
  13. Oh my god. I'm not a massive Metallica fan, but that song absolutely owns.
  14. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Me to. Just look at the avatar :D

The 2 tallica concerts i went to were amazing. it was the most fun ive had in my entire life, bar nothing. Lars told us that our show was the best leg of the Australian tour. :cool:

I really really hope they come back. Regardless of the price, ill go. heres a pic that i personally took from the tallica show in january (pardon the thumb) :D
  15. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

Dauymn... you were allowed to take cameras into the venue?

Here in Iceland there were no cameras or camcorders allowed, no sharp things (including spike belts, necklaces with spikes), no big purses or handbags, nothing!

I did see a few though using their cellphone to snap some piccies. :)

I like Metallica, seeing Some Kind Of Monster tommorrow :bassist: :bassist: :hyper: :hyper:
  17. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I´m going to see it one of these days..

Did you know that the documentary was premiered a whole week before they premiered it in the US? :hyper:
  18. BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    did in flames open for them?

if so, how was that?

I know their were some big showings before the release date, i saw it today and i cant wait to go back to Manhattan to see it again. :hyper: :bassist:
  20. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    No, there were two bands, Brain Police and Mínus (both Icelandic)