Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Awesome news regarding RUSH!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dave Siff, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Rock Group Rush Set For DVD Release and New Album

September 19, 2005 4:01 a.m. EST

Douglas Maher - All Headline News Staff Reporter

Toronto, Canada (AHN) - Rush fans are rejoicing after a lull in action from the band in 2005, taking nearly a year off to focus on guitarist Alex Lifeson's trial in Naples, Florida and work on a plethora of upcoming DVD projects for the end of 2005 and throughout 2006.

"R:30-Rush Live In Frankfurt," is to be released on November 15. The DVD set will feature a full performance of the German show during the band's 30th Anniversary Tour in 2004. It will also feature a full length documentary on the history of Rush that has a running time of just over one hour and exclusive lost live footage of the band from the early 1980s.

Drummer Neil Peart will release an instructional DVD titled "Anatomy of A Drum Solo" to be released through Hudson Music on December 13. The DVD will contain over two hours of Peart playing through numerous versions of drum solos he has performed for the better part of thirty years.

Rush plans to begin reissuing their VHS catalog on DVD with the 1981 concert film Exit Stage Left..., 1984's Grace Under Pressure Tour, and a performance recorded in 1988, A Show of Hands. The DVD's will be offered in a special box set and then individually.

If that was not enough news for Rush fans, the band has reportedly begun the process of pre-production and are in the early stages of writing for their new album which should be ready for release sometime in 2006 pending no delays.

2. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    :hyper: :)

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Who? :confused:

Just kidding. :ninja:

4. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks for the info !!! New album coming !!!
    I wanna have them all. It´s incredible the energy level
    they mantain after so many years.

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Alex's trial? As in court trial? What happned?

On another note, I am stoked!!!

6. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.

>> Yep...seems Alex's son wanted to get up on stage
    with the band at a new year's eve party in Florida last year. Security
    removed him from the stage and Alex intervened, throwing a few punches at security or the cops or something, spitting blood at them and subsequently getting arrested. I think excessive alcohol consumption played a part in the ensuing fracas. Charges and lawsuits were filed, blah blah blah..

Slug

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Far out!

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Glad I did a search, as I was about to post this. ;)

I'm psyched!

9. Excellent.

10. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Do you think this DVD will have the anoying audience noise on every song, like the Rio DVD?

Just about made that one unlistenable.

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    From what I've heard from some friends "in the know", Rush has been aware of the sonic issues of the RiR DVD from the day of recording (the documentary does a good job of explaining the "Rush" job of setup that day, the lack of soundcheck, and the inferior recording equipment they had to use) and had planned from the start of the R30 tour to produce a "correct" DVD. But RiR was a milestone for them in many ways and I'm personally glad they released it including the "inferior" sound quality (which is nowhere near some of the lower-budget DVDs I've heard.)

I wouldn't say "unlistenable", but it's one of the few music DVDs I own that actually sounds better switched to 2.0 Surround - it cuts out a great deal of the crowd noise.

12. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    YES!!!!!!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

13. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Gotta have those DVD's! And a new album too! :hyper:

14. Scroller

Scroller

Jul 16, 2005
    Unquestionably, this is awesome news regarding Rush...particularly, the "lost live footage of the band from the early 1980's" and I will be first in line to snap up the DVD box set of all three concerts but I can't help but remain a bit skeptical. Will the lost live footage consist of a full performance of Jacob's Ladder, (or maybe even better, Natural Science) or will it just be brief, edited snippets of the Exit Stage Left tour...? Live footage of Signals tunes from that period would also be sick! Subdivisions or Digital Man...now THAT would be something. I also wish (while I'm at it) that a COPMLETE set of their videos would be released as well. Countdown and The Body Electric were not included in the Chronicles DVD as well as videos from Presto to the present (although I'd imagine this probably has something to do with record company restrictions, legalities, etc.).

15. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Details on the DVD here: Powerwindows.com.

Check out DVD #2. Oh my goodness. Boldface mine. Looks like this is the love letter Rush fans have been waiting for.

DVD Disc 2 - Tracklist (Running Time: 1:30)

ARCHIVE PERFORMANCE FOOTAGE:
    #1 Fly By Night - Church Session Video (1975)
    #2 Circumstances - Live in Studio (1978)
    #3 La Villa Strangiato - Live in Studio (1978)
    #4 Farewell to Kings - Live in Studio (1978)
    #5 Xanadu - Live in Studio (1978)

#6 Soundcheck: Various Songs - Ivor Wynne Stadium (1977)
    #7 Freewill - Toronto Rocks / Rolling Stones Concert (2003)
    #8 Closer to the Heart - Canadian Tsunami Disaster Fund charity telethon performance on CBC television (2005)

16. Cooool! :cool: I was actually wondering only a few days ago if "A Show Of Hands" and "Grace Under Pressure Tour" were available on DVD (I used to have them both on video)!:)

17. I heard the new album was scheduled for June/July 06. Can anyone confirm?

18. I am glad that RUSH is still together after all that Neil has been through. I always look forward to their tour. I am never disappointed. It is amazing to see a show. I am glad they are burning new DVD's. They Rock

19. Ditto. Did anyone read Neil's book "Ghostrider?" Sad stuff. But a VERY intelligent man (great writer) who was able to continue on after terrible family circumstances. Bravo Neil! :bassist:

Can't wait for the DVDs and a tour(?)

20. AWESOME!!! I hope this means a tour also. I've always wanted to see them live. They're such a tight group, every recording I've ever heard of them (live and studio), they always play together so perfectly. I guess that's bound to happen when you have the same band members for like 30 years.

RUSH RULES