Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Awesome NYC Funk Jam Band with TBer

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FunkyLemz, Jan 25, 2006.

1. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey all, a week a ago I saw Brad (VintageBT6Lover) play at the bar/club/venue Niagra on 7th St. I just had to let all the NYC TBer's and lovers of Funk jams know about how amazing his band was. I only heard one song and it was great. The band was strictly inmprov and he daid that on some tunes they didnt even have a starting key. All in all, there was very tasteful playing on part of Brad and the whole band just cooked.
    They play there every Tuesday at 10:30pm.
    Check them out.
    Mike

2. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I forgot to mention - There's no cover!

3. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dont forget the free show tomorrow!!! I'm almost certain it's still on.
    Mike

4. Oh man, I didn't even see this until now.
    Cool, thanks so much for the props Mike!! :hyper: :D

Unfortunately, the management at Niagara has decided to let us go. I'll spare you, and them, the details at this point. We're currently securing a new venue. Our "in" at Niagara also bartends at Detour so I think that'll be our next plan of attack. I'll keep ya posted!
    Thanks again for the interest!

5. Oh yeah, the name.
    Well this particular lineup was sort of the drummer's 'baby'. He asked us for ideas for the band name but even though we all submitted several different, decent names, he ended up going with the one he came up with in the first place.
    He decided to call us the "Unskilled Labor Funk Ensemble". It doesn't sting my ears anymore now that I've heard it a couple hundred times! :D
    I'm not sure what it is about us that is unskilled but maybe that's looking too far into it. Ryan is a drummer, is he not?!
    That's what we were being called while we were at Niagara. Methinks there will be a new name coming forth at our new house of funk. Mehopes!