Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Awesome Song, Crazy Bass!?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stompfrog, Sep 20, 2005.

1. In the song "You Can Call Me Al" by Simon and Garfunkel there is a ridiculous bass solo towards the end of the song which seems to consist of about 637 notes in half a bar. It sounds reversed to my ears and most impossible to play. Any ideas how it is played and if in fact there are any effects on it.

Cheers

2. Yeh, that songs great. Im pretty sure its fretless, or is that the paul simons version? Not sure, they're both good. Nice pick Up.

3. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    there's tabs out there for it

4. I found a tab a couple of years ago and it didnt seem to bear any resembelance to the song. I think I was probably seriously lacking in speed. Fretless is interesting... might explain the backwards, slurred sound I was hearing.

Has anyone managed to play this bass solo? I havent heard the song for a long time but i will fish it out when i get home and have another go at it.

5. Actually, I heard it was recorded backwards, indeed.

6. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I read a post about this tune before. If I remember correctly there are two bass tracks on that recording. One fretless and on fretted. Bukiti Kumalo (sp?) is the bass player.

7. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Paul talks about it in a video he did, at the console, soloing up parts, and explaining the session.

The solo is a small lick, turned backwards onto itself -

The back half, is the first half, played backwards.

It is a bassist from Soweto, South Africa.

8. awesome... that answers a 5 year argument between the left and right sides of my brain.