Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassturtle, Apr 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    So, this girl and her Boyfriend came in a couple of weeks ago to buy a guitar amp from me. Seemed like a cool couple. They ended up finding one that they liked for about $500.

Well, the check they paid for it with was made of rubber and it bounced (like rubber checks tend to do) and what does she do? She comes in TOTALLY pissed off at me because, as she put it, "When I wrote you that check, I had the money in the account, but you deposited it a day late and the money wasn't there! Now my boyfriend is going to kill me!" :confused:

I couldn't tell if she was joking or not! I explained to her that it's not my responsibility to manage her finances, but I would be cool with them and let them pay me back in a week with no additional charges, which I thought was a pretty nice thing for me to do. However, she then continued to tell me how it's not very responsible of me as a business owner to not deposit checks the same day I get them and that it's STILL somehow my fault that her check bounced! I deposited the dang thing the day after she wrote it!

I'm dumbfounded. What kind of logic is she using to turn this into my problem?
  2. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004

The title confuses me.
  3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Nobody takes responsibility for their own actions/problems anymore.
  4. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    people are retarded. do you expect anything different>?
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Eh, if she gives you crap, then just say you want cash, and you won't accept her checks anymore. That way she knows when the money leaves her hand, and it doesn't matter when it is deposited.
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

You'll probably be sued for lacking clairvoyance.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Any people have to wonder why I'm a misanthrope.
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Let's put that in the law books.
  9. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Sadly this story does not shock me at all. I used to work in a bank in Boulder, CO--a.k.a. land of the people who are NOT, no matter what you tell them, responsible for their own actions--and I used to get this sort of crap at least three times a week.

Me (in my mind at least) on a regular basis:

"I'm sorry, ma'am. You're absolutely right. It's MY fault you wrote checks for a total in excess of your account balance. Perhaps I could call your daddy for you and tell him he needs to transfer some money from your trust fund into your checking account at his earliest convenience. Happy 43rd Birthday, by the way!"

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Tell her that writing a bad cheque is illegal. And that you'd be happy to call the cops to discuss a solution to this little problem.
  11. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

It was the only word I could think to describe the situation. It was so insanely stupid and unexplainable that it simply became AWESOME!

One of the best parts was when she said "Well, my bank statments are wierd and they make it hard to balance my check book." Dead serious. She actually said that.
  12. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

Nah. She looked to be only about 18 or 19 years old and I'm a softy. We all make mistakes, but the fact that she tried to blame me was what made it so fantastic. Also the fact that this 18 year old is going to school me in how to properly run my business.

The entire situation was just classic.
  13. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Perhaps she is a woman that didn't receive much guidance and support from her parents when she was young, concerning finances and personal responsibility. She finds herself now without the mental wherewithal to learn these things on her own, (as she isn't extremely intelligent in the first place, and things not coming easily to her frustrate her), and she is constantly battling people because of mistakes that she makes. She feels at a loss in life, unable to develop her financial skills or even social skills really, becomes easily frustrated in these situations because she doesn't really have the intelligence to deal with them, and is now at a loss because she had great intentions for her boyfriend, (whom does his best to love her, but he of course has his own shortcomings, needing to be a father figure in a relationship, to feel a sense of superiority over her, as he never had control as a child, having a father that dominated him and didn't let him make his own choices, and really did the same with his mother, and just further providing the only role model he had of a relationship as being about control, and doesn't have a feeling of control much in his personal life now, especially at work where he feels disrespected), and now she is going to have to come to him with this frustrating tale. Now, he'll try and solve it, (to be the father figure and assert his dominance), which just frustrates her even more because she realizes even moreso that she's dependant upon him, just as she is with everyone in her life because she doesn't have the ability to stand on her own. Of course, he resents, or acts like he does, having to come to her rescue again, but really it just reaffirms his need for control in the only thing in his life he feels he can control, thus just strengthening their reasons for being together.

Or, she's stupid.
  14. Female logic ... ;)

This makes me think about my favourite movie quote again, (from "As good as it gets")
    "How do you write women so perfectly ?"
    "Easy, I think of a man, then I take away reason and acountability."
  15. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Explanation #1 is what everyone clings to these days, rather than taking responsibility for their own screw-ups, isn't it? Ah, yes, when in doubt blame your parents. I think you captured the classic "bleeding heart" excuse very imaginatively.

Explanation #2 is probably true.

Neither explanation illicits much sympathy from me I'm afraid.

16. Aye!
  17. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I thought the story was going to end by you getting sum from her. What is wrong with me, I have to get my mind out of the gutter.
  18. I personally like the gutter, but I know I need to get out of it once in a while, or not let people know that is where I am :D
  19. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Actually I’d say parents have a lot to do with things like this... Some parents for some reason thinking of getting a kid like getting a cat... not even a dog that you have to take for walks but a cat where you don’t have to do crap... So, they don’t do crap... and then expect schools to raise their kids... bs school are not there to do that… a lot of parents deserve the blame...

I agree with jazzbo, but I ad more... its both... person doesn’t have to be smart to have good matters if parents took care of that part... She probably had bad parents that didn’t care enough to teach her matters and she was too dumb to learn on her own... So i say its both...

bassturtle: dono... get em to pay cash or if they refuse call cops... or get the damn thing back and be done with... good luck dude... For rest of times... get one of those instant checks:) easier... if it bounce person is still there... its like credit card:)

20. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Oh god i did too... especially got excited on "she came back" part... i thought it be like "i am sorry... can you please except charges in sexual fav"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.