Awesome !!!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Rob Sleeper, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Hey everyone,

Just got back from the Edgar Meyer/ Bela Fleck concert. Man it was amazing. Edgar Meyer to me seems so relaxed and makes it so easy to play really fast!!!! To me he really is better than Gary Karr!!!

Just thought I'd share my experiance!!!!!

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Better is subjective. He plays differently than Gary Karr. But I agree, he makes everything look effortless.
  3. Excellent point...
  4. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    It was a lot pf fun to watch
  5. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    That's good to hear: I'm going to see them on the 19th and have been jonesing since I got the cd/dvd. You're getting me fired up for it!
  6. I was at that concert, too, and Rob didn't mention that there was the added element of tabla player Zakir Hussien sitting in on some of the tunes. Very cool; he was playing with them for the first time, and it gave the concert a certain looseness and "sound of surprise" it might not have had otherwise.

I agree that comparing Edgar to Gary is a pointless exercise, especially in this context. They are both virtuosi in their own right, each with is very distinct "voice."

My only complaint about the concert was, of course, the sound. Edgar's microphone as way, way too hot; you could hear all of Edgar's shoe shuffles, breathing, floor creaks, all blasting through the bank of speakers some genius deemed necessary. The hall was intimate enough and had good enough acoustics, I feel, that they could have gone completely acoustic, or mic'ed very low.
  7. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Ya the concert was at COD and I thought the acoustics where a little too hot also. (IE- shoe taping and breathing) But Zakir Hussien's little 10 minute solo was pretty cool I thought. I think though Edgar Meyer just breathes loud, because I have 2 of his CDs and you can deftantly hear him breathe.
  8. I was at the COD as well and was pretty stunned. Everytime Zakir Hussein played my jaw dropped. The coolest part by far was Edgar and Zakir's duet.

I think all of Edgar's extraneous sounds kind of fit the feeling of the music. I don't listen to any other bluegrass outside of Meyer and Fleck's work, but it seems like kind of a nice addition. IIRC, Meyer didn't do any sort of tapping on the Bach medley. For whatever reason I don't care about the breathing at all. Maybe these sounds are more things that Edgar wants us bass players to argue about.