1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Awful smell in Hardshell Case - help!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sijjvra, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    I just bought a nice used Ibanez hardshell case for my new ATK300. I've a gig bag but with a semi-decent bass I want something that's going to protect it a bit more than some flimsy material.

There's a problem though. The inside of the case STINKS something awful. I think the previous owner had a dog pee in it or something :scowl: and didn't try to clean it or get the smell out.

So I need tips for getting the rank smell out of this case. I do NOT want my bass smelling like pee. Anyone got any solutions?

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Fresh air and sunshine, febreze probably wouldn't hurt either.

3. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Apparently vodka makes for good cleaning.

4. Go to a Pet store OR professional cleaning supply company and get something called "live enzyme" (it's a product type - not brand)

Follow the directions.

5. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2009
    +1
    It works.
    I had a cat urinate in a suitcase after I had just unpacked.
    Right in front of me!

I was traveling a lot & I guess she wanted me to know what she thought of it.

6. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    A cat peed in a guitar case of mine in 1965. It still smells.

7. A tip from TV - put some Orange Oil in vodka & spray it on - helps take the smell away.

We use it for removing the dog's 'aroma' when visitors are coming round - smells quite pleasant too.

8. Thats just the wrong kind of vintage mojo :p

9. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Baking soda, pour it in the case(whole box) keep it closed for a couple of days and then vacum it out.

10. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I had this same issue with the case for my Pedulla Pentabuzz. I tried the baking soda, Febrize, and airing it outside for long periods of time. I ended up contacting Pedulla, who put me in touch with the case manufacturer. It turns out in my situation that it was the glue used. So I sent it to the manufacturer and they agreed that my particular case stank and they sent me a new replacement case. I wonder if they're the makers of the case you have as well? There was no marking on the case except Pedulla, so there was no way to tell the manufacturer except by reaching Pedulla. The case smelled like something may have urinated or died in it.

11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    If the baking soda doesn't work, use plain old white vinegar. You put it in a bowl, don't let it spill on the inside of the case and close the case for a day or two, then follow up with the backing soda treatment mentioned earlier. I've used the baking soda method to rid a car of a sour milk smell and the vinegar followed by baking soda to remove the cigarette smoke smell from a car I just bought.

12. Is it really a urine smell or is it the smell of the glue or plastic or carpet?

13. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    Things from Indonesia and Vietnam come with extra stink. Do you know where it was made?

14. war_n_peace

war_n_peace

Aug 9, 2006
    USA
    +1

Same thing only in my case it was 1980. :rollno: