1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Awful-sounding TI JF344 "D" and "G"

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by billoetjen, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Hi folks,
    I just replaced my first set of TI flats after one year of hard use, and oy, the new set did not impress me. I like the greater presence of the fresh E and A, but the D and G had to go! Luckily, I saved the old set and put back on the old D and G, but kept on the new E and A. AAAhhhhhhhhhh, much better. The whole set balanced nicely.

Anybody else have this happen recently? Did I just get used to the sound the way those strings aged? Did the old set sound that bad when I put them on a year ago? Could they have sounded that bad, and I just didn't notice?
    Or did I get a bad set?
    Really hooked on TI flats,
    Bill

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    One thing I should add--I just put a set of JF344s on a new Ibanez Artcore. When first installed the G string was too bright and the E rather duller than the others. After stretching them in though, and putting in a couple hours of playing on them, they are now balanced beautifully and sound as good as the ones on my other basses.

In this case, it may be that, since I have to replace them so infrequently, I'm not used to the sound before they get a bit of break in time.

I certainly won't use any other string. The Artcore with the factory strings was killing me and sounded like a guitar. It sounds wonderful now.

Edited to add-I answered you a couple minutes ago but the post hasn't showed up. Don't know what I did wrong. To repeat, I've installed over a dozen sets of JF344s on my basses and those of others. Only once had a dead G string out of the box, from a very old set that I bought from a store. It's possible I got careless and got a twist in that string when I installed it. Never any other problems.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I love TI-JF344 strings.

I've used 6 sets so far.

Had one bad G-string out of 6-sets.

4. bassman blue

bassman blue

Aug 22, 2002
    Bellingham
    i got an older used set from a fellow tb'er that he had boiled once. i've never boiled strings, but the sound from these used ti flats is amazing. might be worth a try to mellow out that g and d you find not to your liking....:confused:

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not a good idea to boil TI strings. The core is wrapped in silk, and there's some sort of plastic material that separates the outer windings from each other. Boiling can ruin the silk and the plastic between the windings.

6. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004

I have used the TI Jazz Flat and I too liked the E and the A but not the D and particularly not the G.
    They are just bright and lifeless sounding.