1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Awkward "Meet The Parents" moments

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TheGrizz, Mar 11, 2009.

1. TheGrizz

TheGrizz

Nov 19, 2007
    Athol, MA
    Sponsored Artist: Free Idea Clothing
    This thread is about meeting a significant other's parents...and it being incredibly awkward, catastrophic, and/or embarassing.

Mine goes as follows:

I was seeing this girl for a few weeks, but it was nothing serious. We went to a local pharmacy to buy some "supplies" since I had run out. As we were walking to the check out both of her parents were standing right there. She says "Mom...Dad...Hi? This is my...friend?" I couldn't believe what was happening. I was just standing there with dumb founded look on my face holding a box of condoms. I don't think my face has ever been redder. Her father just looked at me and shook his head.

Let's hear yours.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I don't have one sorry. I was grown up when I started dating my wife.

-Mike

3. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Hahaha. Priceless! Hope her dad is proud of her!

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    um, you have all of us beat for ever. :D

5. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    That is a fail of epic proportions....you got me beat.

6. TheGrizz

TheGrizz

Nov 19, 2007
    Athol, MA
    Jeeze...I didn't think it was THAT bad. No one has anything? Did I set the fail bar that high?

7. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Yep.

8. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I suppose possibly a qualifying story....

Years ago in high school I was dating a very religious Catholic girl. We were going over to her parents house (I had only met them one time previously) to watch a movie with them, hang out, etc.

They wanted to watch Scorsese's "Last Temptation of Christ" and asked me if that was ok....I let out a laugh and said "No thanks, I already know how it ends"

They just stared at me and she had to tell her parents to lighten up :meh:

9. TheGrizz

TheGrizz

Nov 19, 2007
    Athol, MA
    That's actually a pretty good one. I have a few more if the thread doesn't pick up. One of which is pretty epic.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Hard to believe that you have one that can top that!

11. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    well, im sure you've all had the threatening dad before...

I was 15, this girl's dad came into the living room with his jigsaw(he had been working outside i guess...) and puts it on the table in front of me. I look at it, and he says: "Well, i hope i've done all the work i need to with this today" :help:

12. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    This one isn't a "ha ha, funny" anecdote about meeting the parents but for what it's worth:

I dated and eventually married my wife without ever meeting her parents because she was taken away from them by the state at the age of 14 due to horrible abuse and she had had no contact with them for many years. A couple of years after we were married, my wife's sister died suddenly and we went to her funeral and her parents were there, of course.

I spent most of the day glaring at her parents and trying to stay away from them but her father came over and talked to me and immediately started telling me how ungrateful his daughter was and how it was her fault for breaking up their happy home as a teenager and how I should make her respect him as her father - which was her duty to God. :scowl: This, from a guy who would get drunk and do his preteen daughters and beat all his kids and throw them against the walls and hit them on the head with heavy objects.

My wife had made me promise (and she was very serious about this) not to make a scene because it would mar the memory of her sister on the ocassion of her funeral so I somehow managed to not physically assault the guy. But I did very quietly inform him that I had read the child protective services reports and I knew all about what he had done and I threatened to kill him someday when he least expected it. I had no such plan to kill him at the time, but he didn't know that and turned an interesting shade of gray and walked away. I never did speak to her mother so I couldn't discuss with her what I thought about mothers who knowingly side with their abusive husbands over the welfare of their children.

He dropped dead at work a few years after that and she is now dying of brain cancer, alone and friendless, so the story does have a happy ending. :D

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    How was he not in jail and raped/killed by inmates?

14. TheGrizz

TheGrizz

Nov 19, 2007
    Athol, MA

I dunno if it tops it, but it's pretty good.

Summer 2008: I went to my friends wedding, and I started drinking as soon as we got to the reception. As time went on I decided I felt like dancing. Now I started dancing with one of the bridesmaids, and it got a little inappropriate:smug:

We ended up hanging out for the remainder of the reception, and I ended up with her number at the end of the night. I called her, and she asked me to come over and watch a movie with her. That was fine with me. I got there, and her mom opened the door. I introduced myself, and she said; "I think I know you from somewhere. You just look familiar." I kinda brushed it off since it happens a lot to me. Then her dad walked in a says "Hey! I know you! Were you the guy at the wedding that was grinding on my daughter?" I reluctantly fessed up. They had me pegged, and I'm hard to miss:ninja:

They laughed it off and made fun of my lack of dance skills...but it was awkward none the less.

15. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I almost have TheGrizz beat. But it was "her meeting my folks" and not the other way around...
    Long time ago - old girlfriend. I was still a teen. We had just hooked up.

My parents were out for the day. So she and I went back to my house for the afternoon.
    We were rather loud...
    We finish and get quiet, and my phone rings (I had my own line).
    It's my folks. "We're home early... could you please shut your door?"

She a hell of a time saying hello to them when we finally came downstairs... :D

16. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    PM'ed.

17. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Ooouch. :atoz:

18. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    man these are great, keep them coming

19. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

Good one!

I once dated a girl who was a minister's daughter. The first time I met them I got the series of questions from him and even though I was respectful and honest, the fact is, the answers weren't what he wanted to hear. After that first meeting, her parents always treated me with something of a cold tolerence. I asked her about this and she said it was because they thought I was a corrupting influence on her virtues. I agreed with them, but didn't think that it was wise to tell her that at that point.

But one day, she and I were discussing the Monty Python movie "Life of Brian" and she told me that she heard it was blasphemous. I told her that was ridiculous and that whoever told her that was "an idiot". Of course, her father was the one who told her that (I don't know why I didn't see that coming :rollno: ), and she practically frog marched me out the door. Last time I ever saw her.

20. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Not exactly a meet the parents story, but I've been caught in a very incriminating position. Let's just say that it involves the number between 68 and 70.