Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Awright, Turner: Can I defret a Conk GT7?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by eli, Mar 25, 2001.

1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The GT7's at GC are, at $850, as cheap as they're gonna get. But I want a fretless! And they aren't on sale.

What wood is the GT7 fingerboard, and am I nuts to consder defretting one? Or having it done by someone?

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Im not Turner, but...

The fretboard is purpleheart. Im not exactly sure how it would hold up as a fretless, but i think it would be fine. Its a fairly dense and heavy wood, so it should be fine. I would have the defretting done by someone though.

On the other hand, there is a GT7F, so you might want to look into that. I believe the fretboard is a synthetic, like ebonol or something of that nature. Lined with white though. Yuck.

3. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Heard about the GT7F's but they're over $1200. There aren't even any in the Chicago area.

So the question now becomes: How would pupleheart hold up to defretting, and then to roundwounds? (No, I would NEVER consider flatwounds -- they are NOT the sound I want.) Is purpleheart as tough as ebony? As rosewood? Pau ferro? Does anyone even make fretless boards out of pau ferro?

What would purpleheart sound like as a fretless board -- similar to rosewood?

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i've played a fretless purple heart boarded conklin before, but it had a finish on it. sounded pretty good.

from what i know, purple heart is really hard, but a bit brittle. i imagine it would work ok, if you got somebody who knew what they were doing to do the job.

on the other hand, the ebanol fretless boards are really cool, sound really good. you should keep your eyes peeled, i've seen a few come up on ebay and bassgear.com in the past.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually, i went looking for ya, and theres a GT7F at the www.harmony-central.com classifieds for $700! Go over there and check it out! :D

6. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    ...how 'BOUT that $hit...

7. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
  8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Purpleheart is approx as hard as rosewood, which is just slightly harder than maple. It's also approx as dense as rosewood. I'd conclude that it's OK to defret, but roundwounds will be tough on it.....sound would also be rosewood-like. And it would need a coating.
    Comparing this to an all plastic alternative, you'll need to test the plastic to see if you can abide with it. I find it very "sweaty" and slippery.

Pau ferro is a tremendously good choise for fretless boards, I'd say equivalent to ebony. And I have seen some bass on the net with this solution, can't remember where.

And whatever you do: good luck!

9. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Check this out.

Dude here at TB has a FRETLESS GT-7 for sale ($700 w/case).

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    i think its the same guy i found! :D