1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Awsome buy! Good Store!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GoatGruff, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this.

Okay. So I ordered a Traben Chaos Core 5 from guitar center a few weeks back. The back order status kept getting longer and longer, so I found a new one on eBay and canceled the GC order. The store is Grand Central Music in Duluth, MN. Unfortunately the auction expired before they got my offer. So today we worked it out over EMail and phone. So after a little haggling I got one brand spankin' new for $715, which isn't an AMAZING deal, but it's better than $750. Should receive the bass on Thursday, so I'll let you all know how that goes.

So far though, I've had a really pleasant experience dealing with these guys, they are very courteous and helpful. Quick responses through Email. I figured since we did this out of eBay, and I couldn't give them feedback there, I'd give em some praises here. They have a lot of stuff in stock on their eBay store, check em out!

I'll be sure to post pics of the bass when i receive her! :D

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Waiting for the follow up post where he never got the bass and they threatened him with negative feedback if he complains...

Grats on the deal!

3. lol are you trying to jinx me!? stop it!:p

4. GG, I hope you're still as happy after you receive the bass...

5. Yeah, I'll be sure to post an update and pics after I get it.

6. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    I knew a lady, came from Duluth, got bit by a dog with a rabit tooth...

7. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    Rabid tooth *

8. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    Subscribed. The Traben Core has caught my interest for 1. Its price, 2. the preamp (the aguilar model) and 3. the MM style pickups.

9. Hazak

Hazak

Jul 3, 2009
    Montreal, Quebec
    I got my chaos core 4 for 599$ CAD, so, roughly 550$ USD. I got it from a local shop. 715$ is a little high for the 5 stringer version, me thinks.

Though it really is an awesome instrument.

10. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Not too shabby a store, as far as I've heard. Of course I live two hours from the place, but I've come across them on line and they seem good.

KO

11. I bought a Cort C5Z from Grand Central - ebay last year, and must admit I was very happy. The set-up they did before delivery was great. And, it was packed very well. Although I have seen better pricing on some of their stuff elsewhere.

Also, I recently got a Chaos Attack (not from Grand Central), with the Rockfield pre and pups. I must admit I was again very pleased. I ended up doing a pretty thorough set-up when it arrived, but it was way cheap. I think it's a great sounding bass and like the feel and playability a lot. I haven't heard the Core with the upgraded pre, but if it's better, as I imagine it would be, it's got to be an incredible sounding bass. I hope to try one out soon, and may be upgrading in the near future if I like what I hear. Also, I like the Whiskey Burl finish that's only available on the Core. IMHO, Traben makes some good stuff at a great price.

12. I played one at a local Guitar Center a few months back, and really liked it. Unfortunately I didn't have the cash at the time, and since then they seem to be really hard to find. Almost every retailer has them on backorder. But yeah pretty much everyone knows the OBP-3 is a killer pre. The sound of the Rockfield pups kind of reminds me of the ceramic SDs. I'm not sure if they are ceramic magnets or not, but they are a hotter more modern sound. Rockfield makes pretty decent pups, the guitarist in one of my bands uses a Rockfield Fat Ass, sounds awsome.

How long ago did you buy yours? Because I know they went up in price this year. Almost every place here in the states has them for 749.99 unless they are on sale or used or something. which right now isn't the case, because as I said there seems to be a shortage of them.

Glad to know you've had a good experience with Grand Central! I haven't played the Attack so I can't compare the sounds for you, but yea they pups are great, and the playability is top notch. The Rockfield pre I would assume is pretty decent also. And yes.... as far as price to quality ratio, Traben is hard to beat.

13. Hazak

Hazak

Jul 3, 2009
    Montreal, Quebec
    I bought mine some time in July of this year from Steve's Music in Montreal.

14. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    If you like the whiskey burl finish and you want a 4 banger, check out Amazon.com. The Black Wash and Black Vapor finishes are going for $699 but the Whiskey Burl is only $549!!
    Save $150 by getting your preferred finish!!!

15. Alright, well she arrived today!

2ylmof6.

2r6mb0m.

It came very nicely packed. Perfect condition. It was set up nicely, a little too low for my taste though. After a little setup, it plays like butter. The stock strap-locks are pretty nice, and feel secure. The frets were very nicely dressed, and the over fit and finish was superb for a mid-priced MIK. Except for one thing, which I will get too.

I pretty much forced my band into a rehearsal/jam session tonight to put her through her paces lol. After tweaking my amp some, I got an amazing tone. It's super responsive, and LOUD. This thing sounds HUGE! It's very similar to a Stingray HH, very growly but a little darker and a little smoother on the top end. The sustain is freakin awesome for a bolt-on. I don't know if this has to do with the "Chaos Internal Bridge" or not, but it rings for days. Tapping is pretty much effortless, the high output pickups and the OBP-3 bring out every little nuance. And of course the slap tone is beefy as hell. Overall I'm very impressed.

Now, the one and only thing that's wrong with it..
    After about a 45 minutes into jamming, I look down and notice the strap buttons a really loose :eek:. I take the strap off and the things are jiggling all over. I'm glad I caught it when I did, or it could have dropped. The screws that mount them into the body are apparently stripped out. I tried tightening them back down, but they would pull back out when I put weight on them. I dunno whats up with that, but it's a pretty easy fix. Nothing a flat tooth-pick and some loctite won't fix ;)

So aside from the stap buttons being mounted very janky, I'm very happy with the purchase!

I'll take better pics very soon, and post them in the Traben Club thread.

16. Just finished fixing the strap buttons. Good as new :D

17. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    Man, that is a sweet lookin bass. I only wish I could get the whisky burl with a rosewood fretboard :(

18. Wow!

What is the string-to-string spacing at the bridge?

19. Hazak

Hazak

Jul 3, 2009
    Montreal, Quebec
    Yeah I had the exact same problem with the strap buttons. I swapped them with Dunlop Strap Locks.

I'm glad you dig your bass, it really sounds great.

Here's mine:

Attached Files:

20. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    what finish is that with the rosewood fretboard.