Aww crap I'm stupid

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Komakino, Apr 9, 2003.

1. I just got myself into an incredible mess with my computer. Lemme explain (so you can all see just how thick I am):

I had three operating systems on my computer:
    Hard Disk 1: Windows 2000, QNX Neutrino
    Hard Disk 2: Red Hat Linux 7.1

Then my computer got a virus and I didn't have a virus checker (damn that auto preview on Outlook) so rather than go to all the trouble of getting one and installing it I though "oooh, I'll just reformat as everything's getting in a bit of a mess anyway". So I did - I put windows nice and snug back on the same partition that I wiped it off. No problems there...except of course it overwrote the bootloader for linux (LILO as it happens - how I wish I'd used GRUB). So I downloaded a bootloader to put on floppy and let me boot any OS, except it wouldn't find Linux. "OK" I thought, "I'll boot QNX and reinstall its bootloader which will let me into linux to reinstall LILO" - so I did that. Suddenly I can't boot windows. I try "boot alternate OS" from the QNX menu - the screen fills with dots and nothing happens. So I try running the linux install and selecting "update" in the hope it will overwrite the MBR. Upgrade fails because "The drive structure has changed since linux was installed"....AARGH!! QNX won't boot either so I'm left with no access to any of my files! I REALLY hope my uni coursework is backed up somewhere (should be, I'm good like that) but this is just SO frustrating.

Well now you can all laugh whilst I use fdisk and reinstall windows...
  2. [Nelson] HAHA! [/Nelson]

:D seriously man, we all make mistakes... I once accidently installed a windows-based game programming system into a mac (VERY long story)..
  3. I resent that! I am NOT a geek! I just happen to know a little (obviously not enough) about computers. I actually hate using them :) If it wasn't for the fact that I'm on a computing degree I wouldn't even use them.

When I grow up I want to work in the clothes shop I currently work in!
  4. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    its okay yottskry

we still love you..

stupidyottskry =D
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I hate all partitions. GET A LINUX DEDICATED SYSTEM DARNET!
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yotts have you tried making a linux boot disk to get into linux and just copying a new MBR?
  7. odie

odie Supporting Member

darn you said it before I did. Whenever I try to have mulitple OS's I end up having problems. I can handle two. Three always gets a little but much.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm stupid
    You're yottskry.

9. Ok: say that again, but in English this time......

10. Phew.......glad it wasn't just me:eek:
  11. That was my original plan but darn it I couldn't remember how to make one. The annoying thing is that I already HAVE a bootdisk only I left it at my term-time house rather than bringing it to my mom's house for easter.

Doesn't matter now anyway, when I reinstalled windows I removed my linux boot partition...I was never very happy with the install anyway. I recovered the important files though.
  12. I think it is so cool to run mulitple os. But I have never done it because
    a- tooooo much work
    b- playing bass is cooler
    c- Buying multiple os's is expensive
    d- I've seen people do it and only heard bad things
    e- all of the above
  13. Linux = Free
    QNX = Free (for non-commercial use, i.e. me!)
    Windows = Crap but I have no choice until Unreal Tournament and Counterstrike are available for Linux.
  14. ok, you got me. But I still think that anyone who can make 3 os "work" on a cpu is cool. That takes some serious skills.

oh 1 thing on ms programs. How can you justify an program that is made for everybody that priced for nobody? spending more than 100$ for xp. :mad:
  15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You can actually download one from many of the big Linux distributers forums/help sections. Good that you got your files!