Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aww man....another MIM P thread....bummer...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Insomniac, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Hello all you Wonderful Bassists out there!!! As you can see, i need some advice. For Christmas IM going to be getting a new bass thats less than 400 dollars. I am really leaning towards a Fender MIM P bass (ive converted from metal music to more punk and grunge stuff) (Dont worry all you metal heads out there, i still love metal, this is just a little phase away from it just to broaden myself a bit) anyway, Are the new Pickups good? I am wishing that the MIM will be a step up from my trusty Yamaha 260, will it? Should i go for a new MIM that i can try out, or search EBAY for an elder P bass ...? Any and all help is much appreciated...(oh yeah, i searched, but didnt find anything that i needed, relating to THIS YEARS models and such);)

2. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Pickups on MIM are actually pretty good. I've only used my MIM through a practice amp, I haven't had the chance to hear it in a "band" situation though.

IMO if you can afford to buy a new one, you should do that instead of taking your chance with ebay.
    Go play and look at the bass you're buying.

A seller's definition for "good/great condition" might not be the same as yours.

3. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I'm quite happy with my MIM P-Bass. I like the sound a lot too with the stock pups.

Definately go try some out though, as I hear quality can vary greatly on them.

4. Heres another question, Can i put some of those bridge and pick up covers on it? I really like the way those look...:)

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Fender was nice enough to leave the MIM's available for all the upgrades you are looking for... and the stock pickups are good enough... but a Basslines Quarterpounder won't hurt your sound any... or the DiMarzio Model P... both are great sounding, high output p pups that will put the MIM pup to shame... these pups have character, the MIM is pretty generic in my eyes....

The covers will fit on an MIM, it's just that you will have to set the holes for them yourself...

P@

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I ended up w/ a MIM P w/ Basslines QP installed and dang if it doesn't sound GREAT! Very very happy with it. It definitely holds its own against my other, more exotic basses...

I've got a BA bridge on it too, and I'm not really sure how much of a difference the upgrades make. I haven't played any other MIM p's, but this one's got the voodoo!

7. You have to set the holes your self? like drill them? I wonder how mucha tech would charge for something like that...

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    absolutely!

not sure, but that isn't something that should really be that hard to do... line up the guards, make marks where the holes will be, drill...

P@

9. Link to 2001 MIM P

This is #01 of 12 images for my 2001 sunburst P. It has a DiMarzio DP146 Will Power Middle, and a Gotoh 201 bridge. The MOTO pickguard is an addition also.

I run it with TI Jazz Flats and it is my main player 2x weekly. The 2001 and newer MIM P have improved electronics, etc. This is a nice bass, and one you can play for years without outgrowing it. One should always have a P in the harem...

If you are going to buy one new, try out every one in the shop, and take the one that plays the best. Color is secondary to playability. Each and every bass has a unique personality.

10. What's a "P-Bass"???

Who's a Fender?

:eek: :D

11. what are something to look for in instrument quality? I tried out a black one yesterday and it sounded pretty decent but action was a bit low for slapping...sound was kinda blurry....

12. Oh yeah, why is the Fretboard coated in some kinda laquer, it was kinda wierd iis that standard???

13. Mazinger

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    If you're looking at a new MIM P-bass, it should have rosewood fretboard and no laquer on it.

If you want high action, that shouldn't be a problem. The saddles can be raised.

Now lowering the action without buzzing is totally different......

14. I got a MIM P-Bass over a year ago and I could not be happier. It sounds great with my band at pratices and gigs, and recordings. In the time that I have had it I've never had to adjust the neck, and there is no fret buzz. This is bass is one of the most comfortable I have played, though I do have big hands and I have heard complaints that the neck is a little uncomfortable for people with smaller hands. The pickups are good, but you could replace them if you want. For $350 this MIM P cant be beat.

15. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I played one of the BEST MIM Ps out there at Victor's House of Music here in NJ.. The setup was perfect, action, playability was perfect.. The sound was just amazing... Couldn't believe that wasn't a MIA.. Go for it! Just play all of theM

Good luck
    DM

16. What kinda stuff should i look for to denote a good MIM? the bridges all seem the same, the fretboard i already talked about, and no one here seems to have gotten stuck with a bad one. any ideas?:confused:

17. Mazinger

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Hmmm....besides looking at the bass physically to check for the finish and neck warpage.

Check the frets. make sure they're filed down smoothly along the side of the neck.

Play EVERY fret to check for any buzzing. If you prefer the action to be lower, ask the shop if they can lower it. Then check for any fret buzzes again.

Look at the bridge, strings and nut to make sure they all line up nicely along the neck. Also, not all strings line up exactly to the center of the magnetic poles of the pickups. This is fine as long as it's not way off.

I'd check the tuners to make sure they turn smooth and have no play.

Check the volume and tone pots. Just turn them back and forth to make sure they work fine.

Same with the input jack. Plug in the cord and wiggle it to see if any connections are loose.

Look for any hum from the pickups. Avoid one that seems louder than the rest.

If you're luck enough to have a big selection, play them all and compare. Take your time.

The MIM and great quality basses, so you should have no problems.

Good luck! And enjoy that new bass.

18. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own two of these basses, 1 is a 2001 and the other is a 2002. These are great basses for the money. The newer ones are right up to par with some of the MIA conterparts. Like said here before play alot at the store, as in ALL basses on display alot get abused by wanna be's and other people with no desire to buy a guitar thus have no respect for someone that want's to buy one( meaning changing setup, mishandeling). And what is that stealing knob stuff, (that sucks) Remember if you buy it new it comes sealed in a box and set up from the factory needing nothing.