Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Awww...crap. I forgot...how do you make a Hot-rodded P sound like a P?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Hello, I think I posted a message a while ago asking about Hot-rodded P basses and somebody said that they can never sound like a P because of an impedence problem.

I think someone also suggested that a toggle switch could be installed to separate the two pickups?

Can anyone help me out?

(I've searched the forums a couple times but dammit, Janet, I can't find it)

2. You are looking for pots that can double as switches. The intent is to physically isolate each pickup from the other.

Attached below is a link to a drawing of mine that shows how to use a 3-ways switch to isolate the pickups from each other, and also from both the volume and tone pots. This allows direct connection of the pickup to the output jack.

The StewMac #1216 pot does this.

Link to Drawing

Link to StewMac Push-Pull Pots

3. Aha! Judging by the schematic, I think you are the one that helped me the last time!

Thanks for the quick reply.

But I have a few more questions.

1) All pickups being equal, will the HR P sound exactly like the P, with the new pots installed?

2) Will activating a pot kill the signal from the pickup?

3) How reliable are these pots? Assuming you frequently activate/deactivate them, how long before they wear out?

** I hope I'm not overloading you with questions. But there are a few HR P basses in my area and if the prices of them drop significantly, then I might swoop in and pick one up. (For some reason, I like the red finish...and I would want a P bass to compliment my soon-to-be-boughten Geddy Lee Jazz)

4. The Fender part numbers for the MIA P and the HotRod P are different.

Why? No idea.

However, both are split-P designs, and if both are located at 11.0" from the 12th fret, I'd think they would both sound like P types.

The reason a passive H/R p doesn't sound exactly like a stock P is because both the P and J pickups are in the circuit at all times. This presents a substantial impedance change due to the parallel connection of the two pickups.

How long does any pot last?

Activating the push/pull on the pot will bypass the pot from the circuit, or put it into the circuit. You will also need a 3-way switch similar to that used on the RB5 (J, J+P, P) to truly isolate each pickup from the other.

A simpler solution, but more expensive, would be to install a U-Retro active preamp. This isolates each pickup from the other, plus gives you a lot of on-board EQ. I have a J-Retro going into my RB5 for this purpose.