Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

awwww mannn! :(

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Circus, Dec 5, 2004.

1. I just woke up, had a gig last night, and I left my stingray in the trunk of my car in about -20 degree weather for about 9 hours :( I hope everything will be alright. By the time I got home and hauled my other gear in my house, all I had on my mind was eating my sweet sweet chicken strips from mcdonalds and sleeping, totally forgot about my bass. :(

2. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    just bring it in and leave it in the case. let it warm up really really slow in the case. it might take a day or two. this minimizes the temperature shock and condensation.

~travis

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    My brother rode a Greyhound bus from Ft. Collins, CO to Texas in sub-freezing weather with his Charvel Model 6 guitar in the cargo hold(why? don't ask me). When he got home, he left it in the case to warm up and no really noticeable changes were present. He had to adjust his neck and that was about it. LOL@McDonald's chicken strips! :p

4. Yeah I took it in and opened up the case, I was worried about condensation, maybe I will go close the case so it warms up a little slower, less shock to the system so to speak. Heh, as long as its good for my gig tonight! :bassist:

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    ah (*&#. I just remembered I left both my Stingray and P-bass in my back seat last night. Thanks for reminding me. :scowl:

~Patrick

6. I hope this never happens to me

7. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Geez guys take your guitars in !!!! I mean, I can sometimes get away with it with my modulus bass but my goodness, your poor hard earned babies !!!! :crying:

8. Heh, thanks for the reminder...

*Runs out to the truck*

9. So far she's in good shape, still a little cold, but I just picked it up for a minute and checked for intonation and dead spots/buzzing, so far so good :meh:

Heh, trust me, I did not mean to leave it out in -20 degree weather for 9 hours, I was just so tired after playing, having a beer or 2, driving all the way home, and then hauling my amps into my house at 2 am, I forgot my poor bass was in my trunk. But the McDonalds was soooo good :hyper:

The real kicker is that it just got cold here yesterday. It's been around 7 degrees all week, then bam! -16 during the middle of the day, and tons of snow on saturday. Well, thats my luck I guess

10. I live in California. I don't know what weather is like below 45 degrees. :cool:

11. If you had a lot of time I'd suggest maybe putting the bass in a coolish room and letting it warm to that room temperature (minus the heating). Then slowly turn up the thermostat over time intervals until you reach the normal room temperature of the rest of your house. As long as you don't give it an extreme temperature change it shouldn't be bad. People, please take your basses in!

12. Yeah I let it sit in my basement all day, its good temperature now, condensation is gone, plugged it in and it sounds fine, lesson learned! Now I am off to tonights gig!

13. :bawl: i feel for your poor 'ray

but hey, if anything could survive that, it would be a stingray :D

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I dont even do that here and the coldest it gets is the mid 20s!

15. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Good call on letting it warm up slowly. That's the way to do it.

I worked for a short while for a music store in North Dakota, close to the Canadian border. When we would get shipments of guitars/basses in, we would have to give them a couple of days before they could be opened. Then, we would open them gradually by cracking them, then lifting and shutting the lid a couple of times an hour until the temp inside the case was close to the indoor temp. 95% of the time, all was well if we followed this to a T.

I can feel for you as far as temps go. The coldest I ever saw up there was a windchill of 109 degrees below zero! Actual temp was near 60 below, if I remember right. Good luck! :D

16. CabbageStabbage

CabbageStabbage

Oct 11, 2004
    Ottawa
    Come to Ottawa, Canada, the second coldest capital city in the world!

The average temperature in winter is a nice warm -9 degrees Celsius!

Seriously, though, bring it into your house, but keep it in your case for a day or two.

17. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    This makes me happy I get rides from my friends...If I forget my bass in their cars then I'm jsut stupid.

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Not to stray off topic, but what music store was it that you worked at? Chances are I've probably been there. :)

19. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    The place was called Star Guitar in Minot. I was gigging in the area and sold PA installations on the side. Needless to say, I did more hanging out in the store and more setting up of guitars that I did selling any PA equipment. This was back in the early 90s. I think they went belly-up or something sometime in the mid-90s. I left the area in the summer of 93.

20. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm originally from Edmonton, and the stories I could tell. . .
    The climate on the prairies is hell on basses. Temperatures from -40 up to +30, humidity from 0% to 100% !!! Cerrrack!

Vancouver is a nice town. . .
    Bass much happier now.
    (gloating just a little) ;)