1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AX3000B + M-80; Will it work?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by llamalor2112, Mar 31, 2009.

1. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    I'm a relative noob with the whole effects thing. I've got an Ax300b in the mail and I know that its distortions aren't all that desireable. I can get a M-80 distortion/DI for relatively cheap from a buddy.
    I was wondering if the korg's synths and other effects would agree with the m-80 (for dist, occassionally) on the same circuit?
    If it's an obvious answer, please forgive me.

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I haven't used that combo but for a while Les Claypool used a SansAmp BDDI with a Korg bass multi-FX--sounded great.

3. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    I've used that combo and yes it works very well! But I think you have been badly informed as to the quality of the distortions and fuzzes on the AX3000B, I used the Korg live for two years and I would rate them very highly. There are a number of very usable sounds, from low gain to an extremely high fuzz and they combine well too with the octaver built in. However I would buy the MXR M-80 too, as the Korg doesn't have a built in DI, which I see to be essential for live playing as I ALWAYS send a clean signal to FOH, and it is just generally a top notch unit.

4. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    Thanks much. Found exactly what I wanted to know.
    I probably will get the M-80 for it's DI (my bud's giving it to me for $30!:hyper:) even if I turn out liking the Korgs Distorotions (I guess their quality is sort of controversial among their owners).
    Thanks for the help. :)

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I've never heard of anyone using an mrx m-80 with the ax3000b. I can imagine the ax3000b used with the sanamps bass driver, or the aguilar tone hammer, or even a hartke vxl bass attack preamp pedal. but I've never heard of anyone using the mxr m-80 with the ax3000b. if you plan to do that, by all means take it for a test drive. you might get some interesting sounds from it. I was thinking of purchasing a hartke vxl to go with my ax3000b.

6. Distortion is pretty subjective. What sounds like crap for some people will sound awesome for others. With that said, most people aren't that big on the distortion circuit on the M-80.

As for your initial question, there is no reason at all why it wouldn't work to plug the Korg into the M-80. It's still an instrument-level signal; there is no reason why the M-80 wouldn't be able to take it.

7. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    So it's been a couple days, and I must say that I am happy with this combo. Most people tend not to like the M-80 as well as the Sansamp because it focuses so much more on the heavy distortion. However, with a few seconds of tweaking, I can get all sorts of wonderful sounding dostortions and fuzzes. I can especially get a nice live-Geddy Lee sound from the M-80.

Anyway, it sounds quite a bit better for distortions than the ones in the AX3000B, but the distortions on the Korg are quite usefull for making more electronic fuzz sounding bass parts like many of the songs by MUSE.

Overall, I am very pleased that I now not only have a great set of FX/Synths and delays but a full good set of distortions/fuzzes to match! :bassist: