1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AX3000B "Orange Distortion"?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by atheos, Mar 30, 2009.

1. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    I'd need to know the effect the Korg AX3000B's "Orange Distortion" is modeled after. The manual says:

"This models a classic distortion unit manufactured in Japan and packaged in an orange box."

So, my guess would be Boss DS-1 Distortion but I haven't really heard that being a classic bass distortion, I've seen many SD-1, ODB-3 and OS-2 though but they're all yellow. Maybe someone here knows better than me? Not that it couldn't be DS-1 but it just seems a bit strange to model that one instead of e.g. SD-1 or OS-2 which work wonderfully on a bass.

2. the boss DS-1 is orange and was originally made in japan.

3. Ditto.

This is actually my favorite dist model from the Korg, it's a bit fuzzish in nature, as the original is.

4. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    it is the boss ds-1..

although the ax3000b representation of it is awfull (and im the first guy to encourage one to check out the ax3000b..)

5. Yeah, the distortion/fuzz ain't exactly winner material in this box, but digital modeling of distortion rarely is.

6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The owner's manual of the korg ax3000b usually hint what the distortion channels are modeled after. for instance the tube overdrive is said to be modeled after an overdrive pedal housed in a garish "seasick green" box, that is considered an all-time classic due to the wonderfully warm tones it produces. that's hinting that it's modeled after an ibanez tube-screamer overdrive pedal. another example, the fat distortion says that it models a pedal named after one of the most disliked rodents to ever walk the planet. that's hinting that it's modeled after a proco rat distortion pedal. the manual does the same thing with the amp models. I've noticed that not everyone on this thread doesn't seem to like the distortion channels on this pedalboard. I like some of the distortion channels. some say it may not have the best sounds, but I dig it. personally, I like the shred distortion.

7. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    Yes, I know it's not the perfect solution but I had to record a few bass tracks for my band's promo-EP which I'm producing and that was the best I could get my hands on with my budget and schedule. And it sounds very decent after post-processing, bit growly but still smooth enough to blend in with the guitars. This all is part of my bachelor's thesis so the information anout the box would be nice addition to the documentary part although I'll be just fine with what the manual provides.

Sorry, I'm not allowed to post samples yet :)

EDIT: Oops, now I'm messing up the SD/DS thing. I said nothing!

8. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    Hey, that was my line...! :eyebrow:

9. Korg's Orange Dist for the win.

Although I'd much rather use the Metal Dist on the AX3000G. Why o why couldn't Korg put it on both?

10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Whoops...sorry,dude.

I was using examples of what I was talking about.

11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Were you really asking why korg didn't put the metal distortion on the ax3000b?...If you are, I was wondering the same thing. at least they put the shred distortion on the ax3000b, which is pretty close to getting a metal sound.

12. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Is there an echo in here?

13. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    Well, the thing that really bugs ME is that there is no blend/x-over option for the fx loop. Just imagine if you could blend any external distortion pedal with the dry signal with x-over around 200Hz...

14. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Yes.:D

nah, just kidding,dude.