Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Axess Electronics GRX4 switcher?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Jun 16, 2003.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Does anyone have any experience with this unit, or this company? I did a search for both "Axess" and "GRX4", trying to keep the searches as broad as possible, but nothing turned up. It seems to me like a pair of these, which would give you 8 loops, is a nice, and more affordable alternative to the Switchblade 8.
    I'm looking to make my switching alot simpler, and clear up some of the clutter on my floor. I have Very limited experience with MIDI equipment, so am I getting in over my head? I am considering this, and the Carl Martin Combinator, but with the Carl Martin, I'd still have to keep the pedals nearby on the floor.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Axess Electronics GRX4
    Carl Martin Combinator
    Switchblade

2. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Look into the GCX system from Digital Music Corp. (www.voodoolab.com). It's an eight loop rack unit and control pedal, and I think it costs less than the Switchblade. You can use any MIDI controller with the Guitar Audio Switcher, but you program the Switcher with the pedal, and I don't know how it would work to use another pedal. But programming with the Ground Control is a breeze. And the Switcher is rackmountable, it doesn't look like the GRX4 is.

I use a GCX system, and I love it and highly recommend it.

3. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Thanks, Nails. I've been looking at that one, too, but the GCX Switcher and the Ground Control pedal board run about $399 each. $660 would be the cost for a pair of GRX4s and the pedal from Axess. But, I'm looking for suggestions, and I'm certainly open to your recommendation of the GCX. The rackmount thing doesn't really bother me about the GRX4...I'd probably just throw it on a rack tray with the pedals it's controlling.

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Advance Tube Tech:

http://www.advancetubetech.com/eng/s640.shtml

And there are a good number of (old) MIDI patch bays that (*I think*) could also do stuff like this (the Akai MB76 comes to mind).

I'm in the same boat: I'd love to have the capability that the Switchblade has (seems to be the only one the has a graphical UI, allows re-configuring of effect sequences and variable volume of each effect, if I understand it correctly)... but it's a lot of dough.

Please keep us (er... me) informed as to where you end up. I alternate between wanting to the go the route of a MIDI switcher (relatively complicated, expensive, space-consuming) vs getting a simple Loooper pedal that will simply allow me to take the efects out of the signal path altogether. But a switcher would be way rad...

-Greg

5. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I know Rocktron and Peavey make something similar, and this reminded me of them. I think the Rocktron is the MIDI Octopus or something like that, and I've completely forgotten the name of the Peavey one. I've seen both in stores, but it's been a long time since I've seen either.

6. eclectix

eclectix

Nov 29, 2005
    The Switchblade 8 will route pedal A into B into C, etc
    Or: B into A into C
    Or all variations of this up to 8 pedals.
    I don't think the GRX4 will do this.
    A real cheap one is the "Vice Versa"($100?). It has 2 send/returns. One foot switch determines witch send comes first, and which second. But I haven't actually used it; so check it out carefully before buying.
    Another small one is the Banzai "The Changer" ($95)
    Another: "Providence POS-1" description only in Japanese.
    I think these last 3 are all pretty much the same.
    I'm tempted by the Swithblade 8 (their cheapest one) from Soundsculpture.
    I got an email from Carl Martin concerning the Combinator 2; it won't switch the order of the pedals; it just turns them on and off.
    A good list of all these type switchers is at:
    www.amptone.com/switchers.htm
    --Eclectix

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    IIRC, Switchblade recently upgraded their units to allow you to turn individual loops pedals on/off by pressing a button. So you could have a preset set up with effects compressor > OD > chorus > boost, then hit a single button that takes the chorus out of the chain, for example.

8. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Wow, here's an old one brought back to life! I actually ended up with the Digital Music GCX and Ground Control system. It allows for the indivdual on/off of the loops with the Ground Control Plus.

9. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    That's a very common feature.

I would recommend the GRX based purely on what others have said of the units. Many pro's swear by them, and claim they are much better than the GCX.

As far as the Switchblade, I personally could never see myself using one, all the features they boast over other products seem pointless to me.

My vote is for the GRX first, GCX second.

Of course Axess is due to release a new rack router soon :hyper: