Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Azola/Ampeg Baby Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Scott Cutrer, Nov 26, 2000.

1. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Just curious if anyone has one or played one of these and has an opinion of the sound and quality of the construction. I recently purchased an Ampeg RI? built by Azola, and I am really happy w/ it. I have not gigged w/ it at all though and would like some recomendations on amplification. If I should move this to the electric side of the house, let me know.
    scott

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I played one a couple times at length at a Sam Ash and was very impressed with workmanship and sound. It felt very good and sounded good as well, and that's from an URB perspective. I owned an original Ampeg and sold it many moons ago due to it being a "thump machine" -- all attack and no sustain. The reissue doesn't have that unpleasant characteristic.

3. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks Bob, I knew I could count on your knowledge. I used you home page and links to research Azola and Ampeg. Many thanks for your page and your reply. I have been an URB player for the last ten or so years, but the Army band has me on the electric and bass drum more than URB. I have been missing it too long. Glad to be back among your ranks.
    Thanks again Bob.
    scott