Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Azola Basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott Cutrer, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Well, since the upright room isn't really happnin tonight, and my Azola Baby Bass IS electric, here goes. Any body else own an Azola EUB. I love my Baby Bass and am interested in what anyone thinks of Steve's other EUB models?
    Scott

2. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    BTT

3. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    BTT

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I talked to Mrs. Azola on the phone once about buying a bass and she promised to send me some info. about current models. It never happened so I wrote 'em off. I don't do business with people who can't offer decent customer service. Heard the basses are swell but I wouldn't know.

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    WOW.
    My experience has been just the opposite. Yes the basses are swell to say the least and for anyone considering doing biz with Azola Boogie's experience is NOT indicative of Azola customer service.

The above post isn't quite the kind Deynn and his Moderatin' pals are gonna whack but it is unfair. What, like the US Post Office never screws up? Like it's completely outta the question yer tongue slipped while you were giving your address? OR what's most likely Jill displayed some of the traits of being human and either mis-addressed it or mistakenly ticked it of as being done. Didja follow up with an email, Boogie? Can you go to their website? The info and more is all there too. The office at Azola is a one woman show and her workload is phenomenal but so is the customer service. And having coughed up my hard earned cash for two Azola basses you'd think I'd know about that by now, eh?

6. Same thing occured to me, I'm waiting since october 2000.

7. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Jeff, I could not agree more, I have been dealing with music co.s for years, and never have I had the customer support that I have gotten from Steve and Jill Azolla. They are top notch. Boogie, I am sorry that you had that experience and I understand being disappointed, but man you should give em another shot. They have a great product. If you tell them you never got the material, I bet you will get it pretty quick. Jill is a real nice lady and very helpfull. I have had to wait a few days for emails to be returned, but that is to be expected I think. I have one Azolla and would like at least one more.

Scott

8. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I have had two Azola basses. I had a Bug bass and I currently have a Baby bass. Both are amazing basses. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to buy another one.

As for customer service, I'm VERY surprised to hear any negativity about Jill and Steve. I've had customer service that has truely exceeded my expectation. They have gone above and beyond for me, which is something that is very rare today.

I seriously can not say enough positive things about Azola's products and service.

9. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Here's some advice based on years of hustling bass and lighting tech gigs, retail sales and pro ski and bike repair: If you want something don't leave it to a single phone call. I know I wanna deal with the best people and the best people are ALWAYS busy. When you're busy a phone call is the hardest thing to follow up on 'cause you've got no record of it other than memory. I know for a fact that Jill would like to take care of you guys. Please email her so she can. Thanks.

10. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Joel, tell me about your Baby Bas, color, pickup ect. Can you compare the playability and sound to it and the Bug Bass. I really dig my Tobaco Sunburst Baby Bass, and would love to get either a Bug Bass or a Mini Bass From Azola!
    Scott

11. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I recently was put in touch with the Azola's regarding both a bass I had (which Steve was interested in) and for me to check out his Jazzman line.
    I spent an entire day with Steve and Jill and they were the most outgoing and personable folks I know to have met in the "music biz". They went out of their way to accomondate me...and succeeded! I was able to have lengthy talks with Steve concerning a bass I would like him to build me, got play many of his gorgeous instruments, and even worked out a trade of basses with him.
    Steve and Jill have since remained in contact with me; making sure I was pleased with our meeting and deal.....they definately went the extra mile for customer service!!
    AZOLA basses are among the finest instruments I have ever played, and I am eagerly awaiting my Jazzman semi-acoustic.
    Top notch craftsmanship in all of his basses and as far as customer service goes...they are head and shoulders above the rest! They have my respect, admiration, and business for some time to come!
    Max Valentino

12. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Max, I agree, my experience with the Azola's has been very similar. I emailed them after I had bought my Baby Bass and asked a few questions. They responded promptly and were very helpful. I emailed again several months later and they remembered who I was and what bass I had and were eager to help me out once again. I have worked in music stores for most of my life and dealt with bass and guitar builders and companys for quite a while. These folks are among the best. They are right up there with Roger Sadowsky and Ken Smith, both of whom answered their own phones and gave me great service many times. Bass players are a different breed and I think that real bass builders are to. We all love what we do and are happy to help each other out.

13. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    My Baby bass has what Azola calls an "Iced Tea" finish. It is beautiful. It has a rosewood board, which is different than my Bug bass. The bug had Bubinga, which was good also.

This bass has a dual element piezo with arco-sensitivity control. It's a great playing and sounding bass. The bug was a very good instrument in every respect, and this is even better.

I highly recommend the Azola line. I don't think you'll find a better value on a EUB.

14. Hi Max,

I was (and I am still) interested in a Jazzman II, I mean the model with two soapbar humbuckers.
    Azola seems to be the only small builder to do such kind of basses.
    Unfortunately I've never had the possibility to touch one of them.
    Can you tell me something more?

Thanks.

15. I agree that the Azolas are great people. I was lucky enough to visit the Azolas "Rancho Bajo" and spend an hour or so there playing basses and chatting with with Jill (Steve had the flu and was asleep in bed). Even though I own a bass by another manufacturer Jill was very helpful and nice. (I wanted to buy an Azola but have had some problems with Steve's Music in Canada who is their distributor here) If I were to buy another EUB it would be an Azola.

16. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Hey Joel, we have the same Baby Bass, you just describe it better. Ice Tea sounds like what I have herad the finish refered to as. Also have the same pickup configuration. I too love my Baby. I hope to get a Bug some day soon.

Bassboy, I am glad you had the same great encounter with the Azola's. I will also make my next EUB purchase with them!

Scott

17. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Panto...sorry I didn't respond sooner. I had a little trouble with my ISP, but all is up and runnin' now.
    When I spoke with Steve Azola, he told me his "bread and butter" are the Baby Bass and BugBass. The Bass Guitar (like the Jazzman) series are new and only made to order (he's testing the waters so to speak). as bass guitars go he makes the Deco bass and Jazzman. Also, he isn't really "producing" the solid body Jazzman I and II's anymore (although I suppose he would). The hollowbody Jazzman III is now called "Jazzman" and can be ordered with a number of pickup options....but the double humbucker I don't feel would be a viable option. BTW: the new hollow jazzman IS IMHO the finest and truest sounding bass guitar I have played (and I have played quite a few!!). Just an amazing and responsive instrument.
    If you are looking for a solidbody, dual humbucker (like a double sting-ray) configuration, try a G&L L2000. I think you might find that it has the deep yet slicing tone you seek. But....if you rreally want one of the finest instruments you can find.....get in touch with Azola.....
    Best, Max

18. Thanks for your answer, Max.

Yes I too believe that mr. Azola's core business is about EUB and acoustic bass guitars just as the Jazzman III. I'd really like to try one of them with its upright style neck.
    But now a solid body is on my buying list.
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to buy a used Jazzman I on sale at Elderly last fall :(.
    BTW It was the one tested by BassPlayer.

19. Court Crawford

Court Crawford

Mar 3, 2015
    I found an Azola Ampeg Baby Bass, serial number ABB 70180. I got it exclusively for playing salsa, and just put a new set of Spirocore solo gage strings on it, tuned down to EADG. Still, I'm noticing an odd artifact in the sound. It sounds almost as if it has a flanger on it, or some kind of phase shifting. I've got the volume knob raised. I've got the middle knob turned all the way clockwise. I thought the new strings would have given me more of that drum-like tone. Do any of you have a manual on the electronics? Is there anything I can do to minimize the flanging sound? Audio recording posted here:

20. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    I've always wanted one, saw them in Bassplayer Magazine when I was still in school.
    I live in New Zealand, which means I've still not got one.
    Maybe one day, I still want one.