Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Azola Bugbass II or NS CR4M???

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 22, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

i'm a guitar player who recently got into electric bass, but now wants to move onto upright. Besides my slow and steady rise thru the ranks, i'm looking at these two basses to progress.

i did a search for both and pretty came up with the usual "its the best thing i've ever played!" posts. what are your thoughts as to what each have the other does not? does anyone have experience with both that could shed some real comparative light on them?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'd say that for the money, you're better off getting the real thing. A good bass will appreciate over time and actually act like an investment. Plus, getting your hands on a real bass may draw you completely over the fence.

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I don't have experience on both, but I've owned an original BugBass.
    For my taste, the NS is much too stick-like. It doesn't have any of the usual physical references of a real bass.
    The BugBass has a little neck heel, shoulders, some kind of body.
    I'd be very uncomfortable with a NS, which is almost just a long neck.

Just my $0.02

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I've played both, and I own a Bug that use for touring and crossover gigs. IMHO, the Bug is closer to the feel and sound of a realbass, while the NS is more like an upright fretless in sound and feel. Both are great instruments. You should also probably check out the Eminence bass. But do yourself a favor and play some realbasses before you buy an EUB; there really is no comparison, and you might want to just skip the EUB step altogether, or save it for later.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    tru ray,

but i guess i'm jumping the gun and wanna get started using an upright-ish type sound on my gigs. these two seem great, but the NS seems more like a toothpick to me, while the Azola's are backlogged a few months.

i had been looking at an Eminence with lots of interest, but i dunno how well it would keep up with my techno, DJ group.

6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I have both an Eminence and Moses here now, about 20 mi. South of Atlantic City, if you feel like taking a ride to check the Eminence out. I'm enjoying them both.

The Moses has a top-rounded (removable) block on the back of the neck to simulate the shoulder position.

7. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    There are sometimes ads for second hand Bugs.
    There was one on BobG's site I think. (www.urbbob.com)
    You can also check with the Azolas, they can put you in contact with someone who wants to sold his.
    mailto:jill@azola.com

She (and Steve) are very nice people.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Thx Bob,

the invitation is very very tempting, but i dont wanna embarass myself with my hack playing in front of someone who actually knows which way an upright should lean... hehe. ideally, i want a floating top bugbass II, but the eminence seems very very cool.

then again looking on your site, your own EUB looks very tempting. Are you still offering to build one for sale?? just curious. i much rather get an instrument from someone who passionately loves to play rather than a faceless company.

I'm just looking for something upright to nicely compliment many of my singer/songwriter friends. alot of the shows they do are coffee houses and small showcases like the Living Room and Arlene's grocery. Supporting an acoustic guitarist/singer with an upright helps the whole show (not to mention myself!!) look and feel classier.

9. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    I'll make you a deal- you don't tell anybody about my playing and I won't give away your secrets. ;)

I've never offered to build them for anyone; it was a personal project, and while I'm very proud of it, it's not something I want to do.

C'mon down and check out the Eminence. It's a beautiful instrument.

[​IMG]

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Is that a Hamilton stand, Bob? Do those actually work with the Eminence?

11. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    It is a Hamilton stand but it has a special holder at the base to receive the T-shaped pin end that stabilizes the instrument.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Bob,

does this come with a pickup? or do i have to get one like the K&K Sound???

13. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    It comes with a special type of Gage Realist already installed.

14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    For what it's worth I tried the NS and came to the conclusion it is too much like a fretless electric soundwise. For someone coming from double bass this could be just right for adding another sound, but when coming from bass guitar it seems to miss the point IMHO. I still love the design and would have kept it if only there was more DB character to the sound. I have now ordered an Eminence instead. Should be in my hands tomorrow or the day after...

( multiple :))

15. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Here's an alternativ for those acoustic gigs: the Turner Renaissance fretless, it looks and plays really great. If you have a chance, try one.

[​IMG]

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Another VERY cool alternative is the bowable acoustic bass guitar built by Tobias Schennell. A truly beautiful instrument. I think you can link to it thru Bob's website, or just do a Google search on his name.

17. I think there maybe one of those on Ebay Uk at the moment if you should care to take a look.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

all good comments from everyone and much appreciated, but tho many have commented on how horribly "electric" the NS sounds, what about Azola's Bugbass II and the floating top, Scarab II??

also, has anyone tried Conklin's electric upright that you can sling on your shoulder? tho, it looks cheesy doing that, is there a way to just use it "pogo" style from the floor??

19. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    I played a multi-string Conklin MEU at NAMM last year. Pretty cool. I was surprised how well it stayed in place. There was no alternate play method at the show to my knowledge.

20. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    My Bug is a floater with a low B string. It is pretty remarkable as far as its tone is concerned. I just did my first arco recording session with it, on a piece that was written below the range of my DB. I was pleasantly surprised. I've used it on some acid jazz and crossover CDs to great advantage. It's also my bass of choice for salsa. It feels very close to a DB in terms of scale and response. It has a particularly nice fingerboard; I'd like to swipe it and put it on a realbass someday;)