Azola EUB...I like it!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mchildree, Aug 30, 2004.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Lucked into a good used Azola Bugbass II recently, purchased from a fellow TB/Pitter. Thought it'd be a good spare and useful for gigs in conditions where I'd not wanna take my New Standard, but I honestly expected to find it a barely-useable compromise. Used it on a gig last night and was very happily surprised...the thing plays VERY nicely and it gets a very serviceable upright-ish tone through my Contra (luckily we don't have to be that critical in bluegrass). As I toted it out, I was thinking how nice it's gonna be on certain gigs.

Question for any other EUB owners...have you found that strings make as much difference on EUB as on URB? Mine came strung with Obligatos and they seem okay, but you know how the mind works...can it be better?...
  2. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Hiya Mike,
    I just picked up an old Clevinger EUB and have found my results to be quite similar. Cool tone and exceptional looks. I've had if for about a month and have used it almost exclusively at rehearsals-- trying to get used to it, you know. I like the way it feels.
    I have found that it sits somewhere between an URB and electric. It does have great mwah though.
    I'm not sure about the strings that are on it. I've been using Thomastik SuperFlexibles on my URB-- I really like them.
  3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Day and night.
    My Carruthers came with Spiros but find thing I did was remove them.
    I like orchestral strings best with EUBs, as it gives a more "acoustic" type ot tone.
    Many (should I say most) EUBs having a solid (or near-solid) body this exaggerates the sustain and brightness.
    My current string setup is always up-to-date in my public profile.
    (settled on Original Flexocors for the G, D & A and Flexocor '92 stark E right now)
  4. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I've got a set of Corelli 370s on my Azola BugBass. Bought the set used from a friend on TBL (thanks Tom!). Been on there for about 5 years. I don't play it much, but they've certainly lasted well, and have aged and mellowed nicely.

They are also Solo gauge, so that makes for switching back and forth and adjusting from EBG much easier, at least for me.

The tilt-adjustable neck has allowed me to get a super-low action.

I don't really have a lot of experience with traditional upright, so I can't comment too much on sound. Everybody that's heard it, likes it though. Mine's one of the earliest ones with a slightly different bridge piece and electronics than currently used.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine!

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Told ya Mike. They are fantastic

Hey I got your CD today too. SOunds great man. I really like it.
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Spiro Weichs on mine. I like them on there because they last so frickin' long. I don't want to be changing sets of five too often.

Nice bass...road trips are painless.