1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Azola EUBs Megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by basss, Dec 3, 2004.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I just bought a Bugbass. What kind of strings are you using with yours? I'm looking for a modern but not metallic sound, dark but with some sustain. The spiros I have on there now are too bright. I'm thinking maybe Obligatos but I've used these on my URB and they didn't last too long. Any obli like strings with more longevity? Anyone use obs on a bugbass?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Spiros (Weich) on mine, really dead ones. It works out great, the EUB-ness is tamed somewhat by the dead strings (are Spiros ever really dead?), and I don't ever have to think about changing them.

3. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

First, I'm a dabbler not a URB player -- I do have a BugBass, so here goes.

Mine is the original Original Model BugBass, which had a metal bridge plate. I don't believe that the newer models use this method.

I've got an old set of Corelli 370's (Solo) on my 1998 original BugBass. They've been on there maybe 5 years, were used when I got them, and still sound pretty dang good! I'd say modern perhaps -- certainly not old and "thumpy". Good projection and cuts well. Medium bright to start, but are mellowing nicely.

I don't play the 'Bug much, so I can't testify how well they'd last for someone who plays a lot.

I will say that since the Corellis are Solo gauge strings, it was easy getting used to them, since I mostly play 5-string EBG.

A question: The pickup on my Bug' is incredibly sensitive (and HOT!!!), especialy to string and finger noise. Have you noticed this with yours? IIUC, this pickup is a K&K Bass Max but I believe that Azola has gone to a different model on current production. I don't hear it over the band, of course, just when I'm sitting around playing. Could the pickup be part of your concern?

Hope this helps!

dcr

4. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Thanks

The spiros came off my upright where they had been played on a daily basis for over a year.

The pickup may have something to do with it. The bug I have now is borrowed and is an older model with the metal plate under the bridge. I just bought one which is on its way to me. This one is a newer model with no metal plate and the pickup looks slightly different. I was assuming they would sound about the same but I should probably wait to hear the new one.

I am interested to hear what stings others are using on this bass.

5. I may be wrong, but I think the newer BugBass uses two K&K Bass Max pickups instead of just one.
    About strings: may I recommend orchestral strings?
    They have a darker tone, but the EUB gives them more sustain naturally.
    Flexocor '92 come to mind.
    I went through the same paths, and am experimenting with strings since years. (and lots of $$$)
    Lately, I've been leaning toward clearer sounding strings, although not really bright, because orchestral strings don't have much growl and dirtiness. (too clean may not be better than too dirty)
    I've settled on Super-Sensitive Pinnacle on the bottom strings, and Corelli 370TX on the top. I'm using Pirastro's black rubber ring filters on the G & D though, to cut the metallic edge and reduce the sustain.

P.S. Forgot to add that I owned an original BugBass a few years ago. I'm now owning a Carruthers SUB-1. (modified)

6. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Please explain. What are these, what do they do, and where would I get them?

Thanks!

dcr

7. Pirastro supplies them with every steel G string.
    These are shaped like a big flat washer, about 3/4 inch diameter.
    You put it between the string and bridge groove, so that the string touches the bridge through the center hole.
    Then the string touches the rubber on each side of the bridge.
    This dampens the tone.
    You can email Pirastro to get some if you don't have Pirastro G strings.

8. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    How do the Corelli's compare to Spirocores in terms of brightness and tone?

9. They're bright, but darker than Spiros.
    But they feel so much better! They're very easy to play.
    With the tone filters, the tone is warm but has very good definition.
    These strings speak clearly.
    With the bottom strings I don't use the filters though. (Super-Sensitive Pinnacles)

10. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Thanks francois. Have you tried the nickel Corellies? If so how are they for pizz?

11. Tried them a few years ago.
    They're quite similar to the tungstens, only thicker diameter. (nickel is lighter than tungsten)
    Maybe a tad darker too.
    The E string was really strange though! Didn't like it at all.
    But the set was really inexpensive.
    For instance, Lemur Music sells a set of 370TX for $109, and the set of 380TX for $78!
    Danish bassist NHOP uses Corellis on top and Spiros on the bottom, although I don't know which models exactly.

12. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Has anyone tried superflexibles?

It sounds like they are a bit darker than spiros.

Is the difference big or slight? Do these have that metallic edge of spiros?

The main thing I am looking for is a more rounded attack in the sound. With the spiros I get a really hard metallic snap at the beginning of the note that sounds bass guitar like. I think this type of attack is mellowed out on an acoustic instrument but is pronounced by the bugbass which is why the spiros worked on my URB.

13. You should browse the forum a bit; they've been discussed a lot lately!
    Go at the Strings forum page and do a search with "superflexibles".

14. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Thanks for your help. I decided to go with Corelli 380 TX. $60 from Southwest strings! I figure if they suck at least they were cheap but from what I've read hear I think they should work. I'll post a review after I get them on.

15. Good choice!
    The E may sound a bit strange, but if you only need to find a replacement for just one string, it may be quite easy!

16. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I've read a couple other posts about the E string in this set. Can you recommend an E that would match well with this set in case it doesn't work for me?

17. I'd check either the Super-sensitive Pinnacle or Supreme.
    They're both excellent quality strings, very underrated, maybe because their Red Label line is very cheap.
    More bassists should try these strings, they're really great.
    I prefer the Pinnacle. Sounds warmer on my EUB than the Supreme, at least the top strings.
    For the bottom, the differences are less obvious.
    I presently have Corelli 380TX on top and Pinnacle on the bottom, but ordered a 380TX A yesterday... :)

18. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    To address your original question, I have a 2002 Bug II and it had Obligatos on it when I bought it. The previous owner had installed them, and the bass had such a nice tone (with a minimum of harsh transients) that I kept them. I never could warm up to them on my URB, due mainly to the rolling under my fingers, but they work really well on my Bug.

19. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I put the Corellis on today and so far I like them. They are warmer new than the worn Spiros that were on before them although only slightly - they are still pretty bright. They have a less extreme thump in the attack which is a good thing on this bass. Both the tension and gage are slightly less than the Spiros (Weichs).

Francois, can I expect the sound to warm up more as they break in? How have they aged for you?

BTW the E string sounds ok although it doesn't come straight off the nut. It bends up slightly making the lowest notes F F# a bit difficult to stop. Nothing major - for now it will stay on.

20. Yes, they will darken, but it may take a few weeks. They're quite bright at first, but after a few days, they're already better.
    Just be patient for a few weeks.
    I also use Pirastro's rubber ring filters to reduce brightness and sustain even more. On an EUB the string don't react the same as an acoustic. In my experience, with EUBs the tone is always brighter with lots of sustain.
    With the filters the tone is immediately warm and "woodier".
    It was the same thing here.
    Seems the string is very stiff and doesn't bend properly.
    Just keep an eye on it, and replace it later if you wish!

Regards,
    François