Azola EuroCoustic Bugbass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by thrash_jazz, Nov 15, 2002.

1. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I know these are relatively new, but I was wondering if anyone had had the chance to try one?

One of the [shall remain nameless] local stores carries 'em on special order only... meaning no try-before-you-buy...
  2. Is it Steve's? A few years back I went to Steve's(Montreal) to try some Azola's. The sales guy said unless I put down a deposit he wouldn't get it from the storeroom. I love Steve's. They have lost so much of my business due to ignorance and incompetence. ( I ended up buying a Carruthers from Club Bass as Dave actually arranged for me to try out a clients bass-that's service!) I was in Steve's TO a few months ago and stopped by to see if they had any Azola's in stock. The sales guy there said that they no longer carry Azolas and only sell the steinberger EUBs now. The Azola web page still lists Steve's as a dealer. Maybe the Azolas could shed some light on this if they are reading.
  3. Steve Azola

Steve Azola Azola Basses

Jan 23, 2002
    San Diego, CA

Here's the skinny on Steve's Music Stores in Canada -

Though they are plagued by many of the staff, service, and communication problems of big music stores (Guitar Center, Mars, Sam Ash, etc) and the other major chains worldwide, they *did* embrace our basses from the very beginning. Their management folks really *have* tried to keep our standard basses there in stock for people to "test drive" and order. They have always been great about ordering the newest models when we introduce them at NAMM shows each year. But their inability to keep basses in stock is actually a result of their selling them faster than we can supply them. US demand is still *so* strong that we have had to really focus on keeping pace with that first. The unfavorable monetary exchange rate for our friends north of the border takes our instruments a little beyond the budget level we'd like to be able to offer in Canada as well. So though we've had an emotional soft spot in our hearts for Steve's, despite poor Randy and Francois' terrible experiences, we are not currently able to keep them supplied with instruments. The guys on the sales floor probably don't have the straight story most of the time, I imagine. We are not quite certain what the future of the relationship will be. We realize that our instruments fare best in the smaller bass specialty shops - which is generally where we have concentrated our support for about the past five years. And as our basses become more sophisticated, a well-informed, bass-friendly buying experience becomes even more critical.

So until we can keep US demand better satisfied, you will not find us pursuing heavy international distribution. Although we understand how frustrating this can be for our friends in other countries ... you can't find our basses in shops. We try to be creative in international situations - so get in touch with us directly for help.

Regarding the EuroCoustic BugBass specifically -

This model *is* very new, the prototype made its debut in July at the Nashville NAMM show. The first production units have just arrived, and are being set-up now. There is already quite a backlog of orders for these, so it will be a while before any will be found "in stock" anywhere - so far, they all have homes to go to. We are trying to keep a demo instrument here in our shop at all times - so anyone who is able to visit us in the San Diego area will have the opportunity to "test drive" one ... among other models. I'm not sure if any of our visitors in the past few months are Talk Bass participants, but if we talk to anyone who's been here lately, we'll suggest they might post their objective comments here, okay?

Within the next month or so Viktor Krauss will finally have *his* EuroCoustic BugBass. I know he's planning to use it with Lyle Lovett sometimes. And they are recording a new album, so you might be able to hear it on some tracks that way. Viktor has a lot of other projects going as well, so there might be some opportunities to catch that bass in action pretty soon.

Thanks for inviting us to contribute this information.

Jill (and Steve) Azola
    Tel 760.789.8581
  4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Thanks for the help Randy and Jill.

Drat, I really wanted to try one of those out... but the time will come.

Have a nice day! :)
  5. I just wanted to add that the Azolas are some of the most helpful people out there. A few years back I was in San Diego and was desperate for a set of DB strings. Jill got back to me in about ten minutes via email and the next morning I was on my way to Rancho Bajo! I was able to purchase a set of spirocores at a great price. Jill also spent about an hour or so showing me the shop and let me try all of their basses! I can honestly say the Azola basses are the best I have played. I was actually going to call you guys up and put in an order for a lightening bug but the INS turned down my work VISA last week :( All the best.
  6. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I just saw this thread, so I thought I'd resurrect it.
    I tried the Eurocoustic Baby Bass at NAMM in January. I WAS FLOORED!!! It had the most authentic DB sound I've ever encountered, and I'm picky!! I was going to order one when I came back from NAMM, but I was just moving into the new house we built, plus a new baby due at the time. I WILL be ordering one in time for Christmas delivery this year....I know Steve and Jill are working hard at trying to fill the niche for a great sounding DB alternative, and I believe they've found it. It truly is a fantastic instrument. If you get one, you WILL NOT be disappointed. They're great people as well, and will take care of you. Their shop is relatively nearby in Ramona, CA, and I've been meaning to get up there and buy them lunch, but I run 2 businesses, and am busier than I want to be, but rest assured, when I order my bass this late fall, I'll post a full review!!
    Stay in the pocket,