Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Azola Jazzman 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Aug 21, 2000.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've got my eye on an Azola Jazzman 5, hollowbody with ebony upright-style fretless fretboard. I've played it through a Fafner/Epifani rig, and it sounds just like an upright, more or less. Any thoughts? Experience?

2. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Just checking out the Azola jazzmans...did you ever buy the 5? Also regarding the jazzman basses, are they neck through, or bolt on? Daddy likee, I want one! Anyone with info, please share! :)

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nope. Never got one. You've been watching this for four years? Sheesh!

4. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    haha, revived post.

they are snazy looking basses though.

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I know I really liked the punchy but still huge and warm sound of it when I checked out the one at NAMM 2000. You say you're looking at an upright style fingerboard? One word of caution: my main bass (since that show where I bought it) has been an Azola Deco. The very highly raduised fingerboard was very difficult for me to get a grip on playing in tune as sighting the notes is surprisingly more tricky than on a flatter board. I got past it but not without some trials and even the thought of a new, flatter board at one point.

If you wanna sound like an upright though the curved board goes a real long way to making you play and articulate like an upright. And you absolutely, positively cannot go wrong buying any bass from Steve and Jill Azola. Great basses, swell people.

6. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I don't know a lot about those particular basses but I can tell you that Azola products, in general, are all top notch from both a construction and sonic standpoint. I've had a few Azola EUB's and each one was incredibly well made and a joy to play. Steve and Jill are really wonderful people as well and they will not steer you wrong. Give them a buzz and get some insight from the source.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting!

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    there is a Jazzman I 4 string on bassgear forsale.