1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

B-15N heaven

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnk_10, Mar 19, 2009.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    last weekend i picked up my old '63 B-15N that i'd loaned to a friend (for his studio) about 10 years ago. having had lots of B15's and couple of B12n's and B-18's in the past, i just happened to keep this one that i bought 20 years ago. the head says B-15N on it , but the cabinet is from a B-12N (12" speaker). i when i first got it, it was missing it's original speaker, so i installed vintage JBL D120F in it.

i fired her up, plugged in my p bass and was in immediate tube heaven. its not that it has a huge range of tones, but the one that it does have is just so nice and incredibly even all the way up and down the neck. every note has so much body to it, its no wonder why they used them on so many recordings. what surprised me most was that it is actually pretty darn loud when pushed a little. IMO the D120F really brings out the best in it.

as it turns out, this post is almost the opposite of JimmyM's post on using his '69 SVT on a gig, after using his B15 and LMII. i usually use an SVT on gigs, and although i've always loved B15's, having it back home with me and playing thru it tonight really re-confirmed my appreciation for these little amps. its now going to stay home with me in my bedroom for practicing and recording. as a bonus, with its checkered blue tolex, chrome chassis and plexi panel that lights up, my girlfriend thinks its the "cutest little amp" that she's even seen, and she told me that she thinks that i should never part with it.

anyway, here's a pic of the little beast:

B15N-1.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, that's a beaut, John! Yeah, it's the opposite revelation I had, but hey, it's all Ampeg and it's all good!

BW, I am too fried to go looking through the Ampeg book tonight, but I believe the B-12N cab had the B-15N head as original equipment. I could be wrong and I often am, but it seems to me I read that.

Regardless, everyone needs a good Fliptop, and that's a primo example. Your GF is right....that's a keeper!

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    Thanks Jimmy. yeah, you might be right. i always thought that this head originally did come with this 12" cab. however, i seem to remember having another B12N a few years ago that actually said "B12N" on it (but i'm not sure). the old RCA blackplate 6L6's in this one sound awesome. heck, this amp (1963) was made when i was only 10 years old and i started playing a bass whole year later.

oh, and by the way, my girlfriend is a keeper too! :)

4. LOvely stuff JohnK. I'm blue checkered with envy!

5. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    johnk_10, you're a lucky man!
    Great amp!!

6. you are a lucky dude, nice amp and great girlfriend :)

enjoy the vintage tube warmth :)