B-15R "fliptop"....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fake Trees, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    Does anyone own this amp? If so can you pls shed light on why this 100 watt amp has a list price of a wopping $2,799?
  2. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Pretty much for the same reason that the reissues of both the Austin Mini and the Volkswagen Beatle sell for what they sell today.

These used to be great, and affordable cars in their original day.

Ampeg is a great company. There is no denying it. I own some of their gear. But, with these fliptop reissues, they're shamelessly pandering to "Retro-Fever".

A shame, really.

Just my opinion, of course.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Seen any new, inexpensive tube bass amps lately?
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I got one :)
    I paid a little over $1300USD for mine.

But I agree with the "retro-fever" hoo-ha.

hmm...semantics? :D
    Is $499USD "inexpensive" :confused: (Pignose 1x15" tube combo)
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Pignose all tube 100 watts
  6. Don't let the list price crap spook you. It's about as relevant as watts are to a SS amp. :bag:

Based on my observations B15Rs typically sell for around $1200 in "like new" condition. When I was considering buying one I encountered two that were priced at $999. One had no wear and the other had very little wear.

I can't remember the exact year they were re-issued but I think it was 1997. The list price then was $2199. :meh: (I still have the price list.)

For the sake of conversation, for $2000 you could own the nicest original B15 to be had. It might even sound better. For $1500 you will not have any trouble finding an excellent specimen of either the new or vintage. And if you're patient, a lot less than that.

But if you dig the sound of the B15, a grand or so is fair (IMO).
  7. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Does anybody have a review of the Pignose amp? I have not been able to find one.
  8. rdkill

Jan 20, 2003
    I just bought a Pignose B100V (the combo version)for $399 new. The internet store I bought it from emailed be back after I ordered it and said they f'd up and it should have been $460 but they would honor the price so I'm happy about that! They still list the head only version at $299. I wouldn't have paid the $160 extra for the combo version but for only $100 I couldn't resist. The only reviews I've seen are for the head only version, go here:

I bought it here:

I haven't had a chance to crank it yet but it sounds ok at low volumes. It's supposed to sound like a B15 flip-top and it was designed by an ex-ampeg engineer so if that's the sound you are looking for it's worth a look.
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The B-15R is associated with Jamerson, adding to its "cachet."

I just saw a B-15N this morning - much less wattage and still going for an asking price of $1300. And this thing was originally bought in `66 to use in a church and has never left the church till now! -

10. A grand is pretty steep for a B-15. Usually I see lots of great ones for around $5-700. I gave $400 for mine. BTW the original B-15N and the later, "higher powered" B-15S sound NOTHING like the "R" which is priced so high. I've never understood how SLM could sell them for the prices they do when there are plenty of good original ones that sound many times better for less than half the price of a used "reissue." The old B-15 is a good amp, and it gets a good Motown tone, whether the Jamerson connection is true or not. The new one doesn't even come close IMO.