B-2 Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kwanzai, Jan 22, 2003.

1. kwanzai

Mar 25, 2002
    I've got the problem of having the gain light flash every single time i play a note through my Ampeg B-2. I'm not a tech guy by any means at all, so I'm thinking that this is just a result of the fact that I'm somehow pumping too much power. :confused: I naturally finger pretty hard, since we go all out with energy during practices and shows.

When the gain light flashes, does that mean the amp is being overpowered, or the cabinet that I'm using cannot take that much input? I'm doubting this is the case, since the cabinet is a SWR Workingman 4x10 which handles up to 400 watts, and the Ampeg B-2 only outputs 350 max at 4 ohms. However, right im only running it at 8 ohms (200 watts),since the cab is 8 ohms.

As a result of the flashing gain, my amp is cutting in and out, the limiter light flashes in unison with the gain when undefeated, and I'm thinking that this thing is finally fried...I'm thinking something is loose, but i might just buy another amp because this thing is old anyway

Bascially, what Im asking is how are some ways that I can avoid having my gain light flash everytime i play???
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    This same question was asked about a week or so ago about an SVT350H which is the same amp as your B2. I gave my opinion which was.. um... scoffed at. and others gave their opinions which were about the exact oposite of mine. Here is the thread you can read it and decide for yourself.

Or re read the owners manual. This subject is covered in it. If you don't have the manual you can download it here.