Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B (5) to a G (5)!?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Obsolex, May 1, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I just got a chromatic tuner, and am experimenting with different tunings for the first time (and love it). But how do you turn a B string, down to a G? Or is it up? _-soto-_

2. DOWN!!!! Sorry if that sounded rude, I just wanted to get your attention before you break the string. I know what that is like :meh: :p ;) .

3. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    lolz, yeah that got my attention, lolz. But when I pick the note G on my CHRO-Tuner, when I hit the B it always says lower? What to do? Oh and also, the strings sound really floppy, they are 6 month old ernie ball super slinky's, would new ELIXIRS make it sound a lot better? thanks, _-soto-_

4. "when I pick the note G....when I hit the B"? How are you tuned and what note are you playing?

Also, yes, if you're tuning down, your strings get floppier. New strings won't help this, unless they're heavier gauge. After your strings get to a certain point of floppiness, your tuner will have a hard time reading any pitch anyway.

5. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I meant when I pick the G note on my tuner, and when I hit/pick,finger the B string... And I am usually tuned in normal... _-soto-_

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The strings will definitely be floppy. I have no idea what you'd need a low-G for, but that's not the question. It will say lower, because if you tune to a higher G, the string will definitely snap. Definitely go down.

7. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Is there any way to make them not THAT floppy? _-soto-_

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    big, tight strings.

my dr lorider .125 is still pretty tight at A, but doesn't sound that good (like, it doesn't feel floppy, but it sounds kinda floppy)