1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

B-52’s 1st Guitarist: The Late Ricky Wilson

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I was an undergrad at the University of Georgia when they achieved “underground success.” I never saw them live, but their music was everywhere. Ricky Wilson has a very basic style, but he had rock solid rhythm and often was the pseudo bassist in what was a bassless band until they became mainstream stars with Love Shack. I just felt like mentioning Wilson since I have been listening to a lot of B-52’s today.

AaronVonRock, Robus, JimmyM and 11 others like this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Once the B-52’s started using touring bassists, they picked really good ones, first Sarah Lee and now Tracy Wormworth (The Waitresses and Sting.)

JimB52, JJR58, GregC and 1 other person like this.
  3. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Love the B-52's!
    Been awhile, I need to remedy that.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I watched this in its entirety on YT...then I bought it.
    The drummer is taking no prisoners.

Inky13 likes this.
  5. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Any thread about the B52s deserves two Rock Lobster videos.

SirMjac28 and Supadope like this.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The neat thing is that this super tight drummer took over on guitar after Ricky Wilson died.

james condino, Flooflox and GregC like this.
  7. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    What a fun band. Both Ricky and Keith had/have great feel on rhythm guitar. It's a huge part of the sound of The B-52s. Cosmic Thing and Bouncing Off The Satellites are two of my favourite albums from the 80s.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Oops! That is a recent concert.

JimK likes this.
  9. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    He was a musical genius. I saw their two clips from SNL from around 1979. It sounded like he was playing two guitars at once. Unique style.

Flooflox and Dr. Cheese like this.
  10. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    JimK and Dr. Cheese like this.
  11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania

Spectrum, diegom, Gyver and 3 others like this.
  12. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    A great band for sure. I saw them live twice with Ricky. The first time they were one of the openers for the Who at a stadium show in 1982--totally wrong audience for them. (Kids, don't let the old folks tell you everyone listened to all genres back in the day--it's a lie.) They were booed heavily, and someone actually threw a shoe at them. Fred Schneider ended up saying "We're going to play Rock Lobster now, whether you like it or not." I think their set lasted 20 minutes before they got out of there. The next opener, Joan Jett, was much better received. BTW, the Clash opened for the Who on most of this tour, but they missed this date to play a reggae festival in Jamaica. So my one shot at ever seeing them didn't materialize.:(

Fast forward a few months and I got to see the B-52s headlining a 4000-seat theater after the Mesopotamia EP came out. Fantastic show, everyone was dancing the entire time.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Concert memories are really great to have. A good show gives you something in your mind forever.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    GregC likes this.
  14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Wonder what the year is on that Rock Lobster vid? I had just moved to Isla Vista CA in December 1979 to go to college and that’s the tune that was rockin all the joints then. It was either them, The Police, or Blondie. What an era!

15. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada

OldDog52 and SirMjac28 like this.
  16. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    Wasn't the stadium show in Orlando (the old Tangerine bowl)? I saw that show. Joan Jett sweating in pink spandex... The B-52's were great, and I remember lots of people throwing empty Pepsi cups at them.

The best part of the whole show was after the Who finished; their first tour after Keith died. Also the first show I saw with a huge video screen suspended above the stage. When the band finished, one of the cameramen noticed the full moon had risen, so they trained their camera on it, and it was framed above the stage, huge and shining. A fitting tribute to Keith.

catcauphonic, GregC and Heavy Blue like this.
  17. We have a bassist here @catcauphonic whose band (star meets sea)reminds me a bit of early B52's.
    Planet Claire came on my Ipod yesterday -love it!
    Also the bass with guitar synched in "52 girls"!!
    Great band

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    catcauphonic and Dr. Cheese like this.
  18. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Shame on promoters for obvious mismatches like that. Hendrix opening for The Monkees. Anything for a buck.

Dr. Cheese, GregC and JRA like this.
  19. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    "52 Girls," word. It's rhythm rocks!
    You can keep the "Love Shack," and "Roam."
    "Channel Z" ok.

20. When I saw The Who at Pontiac Silverdome in 1975, the opening act was Toots and the Maytals. They got seriously booed by a very rude audience. It was a seriously mismatch. I think I was the only person there who thought they were great. I actually enjoyed Toots more than The Who. They were huge arena rockers and seemed like they were going through the motions. Toots was lively, soulful and energetic, and it was my introduction to reggae music. It was hypnotic and made you want to dance. I'm still a big fan of Toots & The Maytals.

jamro217 and GregC like this.