Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B-5R + Ampeg BSE410 vs Redhead

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BTBbassist, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Ampeg setup

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. Super Redhead

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Ok.

Got about 1300 to spend on a new amp, I have two options that sounded pretty good to me when I tried them.

#1 Ampeg B-5R w/ BSE410HLF cab - like 1150 at mf

#2 an SWR super redhead for around 1300

Tried both, I really liked them - two different sounds, but both good. Which one would ya'll chose if you were in my beat up sneakers?

I'm sure there will be other setups, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks guys!

2. Before I start let me just say that I am totally an SWR person and I owned a Super Redhead for a couple of years, and loved it. By the same token, I have never specifically used those Ampeg products, but have always had good experiences with Ampeg in the past. They just weren't the tone *I* personally was looking for.

The Super Redhead is a GREAT amp. It sounds great, is put together well, and has a ton of neat features you don't see in other amps (inputs/outputs, rack space, etc.). I loved owning one.

However, in comparing these two setups, I'd have to almost give the nod to the Ampeg rig. This seems to be quality Ampeg gear, and you're looking at 500 Watts into a 4x10 enclosure. This is going to be a much much louder setup than the SWR. If you're going to be gigging with it anytime soon, you'll be glad you have the extra volume. You're looking at twice the speakers with more headroom in the amp. Personally I was never happy with the Redhead in any situation with a drummer other than the jazz band.

The only way I would take the SWR in this situation is if you weren't going to use it with any situation other than relatively quiet gigging, and studio use. Of course, you can always get an extension cabinet and get that extra volume, but why not go with the Ampeg and get what you need now? Even if you prefer the tone of the SWR, remember that you'll probably like the tone of the Ampeg loud with headroom to spare more than the tone of the SWR struggling to handle the volume you want.

It's hard to give any more advice without knowing your particular situation. Hope I could help!

John

P.S. I just noticed that in fact you're looking at 350 watts with the Ampeg setup (into 4 Ohms)... Still, this setup should be roughly twice as loud as the SWR.