B:Assmaster v Mammoth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassnut62, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Can anyone tell me how these two well-respected Fuzz pedals compare?

It would be good to know what they're like sound-wise and to know a little bit of technical comparison too.

Thanks

2. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Apples and orangutans.

The Mammoth is a heavy gated fuzz, smooth and huge, and the B:assmaster is a bass heavy analog octave up fuzz that bites and grinds like no other. They have some overlap in sounds and they are both well regarded with good reason.

For more details search (there's plenty of talk about each) and check out bassfuzz.com run by grygrx.

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The Mammoth is a thick, square wave and gated fuzz. It is not versatile but if you like its tone, there's really nothing else like it. And it is the fuzz of choice for electronica stuff.

The Assmaster is an octave up fuzz with a number of ways to tweak the sound, including varying the dry and distorted volumes. Depending on if you get the silicon or germanium, it can also be aggressive/harsh or a bit more vintage sounding. And the Malekko works well with passive or active basses.

4. Another question then, please.....

I already have and love my Mammoth; but want to expand my love of fuzz. B:Assmasters seem to be calling me; so bearing in mind that i have the Mammoth already, which Assmaster is most different from the Mammoth?

Any suggestions re whihc Assmaster to go for?

Thanks

5. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    I guess that Mammoth is a silicon fuzz. There are 3 B:Assmasters: Si, Ge and Double Ge. I had first and the last. Si is my favourite fuzz of all times. I don't really like Double Ge - it is not bad fuzz, but it doesn't have this character that Brassmaster is famous for IMO. If you want B:Assmaster I really suggest standard Si version.

There are plenty of bass fuzzes though. Mammoth is one of kind, so it won't be hard to find something with different flavour. Check out Prescription Electronics Depth Charge and Katansound Super Bass Fuzz!

6. 1009

Feb 7, 2009
    Chicago
    One small note: the B:Assmaster has no "dry volume" (a la the EHX BBM); rather, it has a "bass volume." If you turn the "ass" (distortion) all the way down and the "bass" up, you will get not your dry unaffected tone, but something bland and characterless (IMO). In my experience the B:Assmaster is a wonderful tool, but a blunt one.

7. CliffD

CliffD Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Woolly mammoths are cool but unless you play a passive bass they're not so much fun. I'd pick an B:assmaster any day over a woolly mammoth, they're less expensive a much more versatile. Just make sure to get one with the altered freq for bass.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021