B.B. King’s guitar “Lucille” going up for auction

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OldDog52, Jul 23, 2019.

1. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Didn't Clapton auction off his own guitars?

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Saw B. B. King live in the 80’s at a small venue called The Second Chance in Ann Arbor. A delightful show. Mr. King did not disappoint. His guitar playing was much more raw than how we’ve heard him recorded. His singing however, drives the soul of his music. One of my fondest memories.

His backing band? As skilled and professional as they come.

walking Bass likes this.
  3. I was at a BB King concert in Minneapolis in '64 (as I recall) with a buddy who worked for a local radio station. We were invited back stage during a break and sat down with BB and shared a bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream sherry served from a classy leather traveling case he carried with him. He was charming and chatted with us for about 10 minutes before his butler brought a fresh shirt for his second set. We were excused and saw another of the finest music sets I've ever seen. His band worked with him year-round and when old, he paid them a pension. A truly classy guy. I also got to see him at the House of Blues in N.O. a couple years ago - the talent had diminished with the years, but the class and soul still shined through. Lucille was his favorite prop and a typically fine Gibson ES in black.

GregC and Slinger like this.
  4. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Whoever buys this Lucille isn't just buying a used guitar.

prov·e·nance

(prŏv′ə-nəns, -näns′)
    n.
    1. Place of origin; derivation.
    a. The history of the ownership of an object, especially when documented or authenticated. Used of artworks,antiques, and books.
    b. The records or documents authenticating such an object or the history of its ownership.

5. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    It' very probably legitimately the 80th birthday "Lucille".

6. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Agree, beat me to it.

7. Or ... we could go to the source:
    About Auction

The auction is in Beverly Hills, CA on September 21st and you can order the auction catalog online for $75.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  8. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

I was fortunate enough to be introduced to B.B. by a mutual friend many, many years ago. Throughout the years, I "paid my respects" to him whenever circumstances allowed. He was a role model for me as to how a gentleman should conduct himself. He was one of a kind.

Here a clip evidencing mutual appreciation between a musician and a club owner, something you don't see every day.

9. Had the pleasure of carrying Mr. King's luggage to his room a few years ago while working as a valet at a Hilton Hotel in Arlington Tx. Was my first night on that job and this big tour bus pulled in. After about an hour and a half three or four gentlemen exited the bus and proceeded to go inside to speak to the staff. He was doing a concert that night and they were getting his arrangements made. I remember bringing a clothing bus cart to the bus and loading about four of them with his and his crews luggage. His tour manager was a particularly irritated older gentleman who proceeded to tell me exactly how to set up B.B.s room and layout everything. It was extremely hot that summer and our uniforms were black t-shirt, black shorts and socks and a black outer coat...Needless to say I was sweating profusely and all over B.B.s bags.. His manager made comment to this asking me if I had a problem or condition. As I was exiting the room I could see Mr. King being wheeled down the hall in a wheelchair and behind him was a large man carrying that unmistakable case with Gibson on the side....I bid him a good evening and went back down. Next afternoon they were preparing to leave I was out at the station standing with a guy and a young lady asked for a light for her cigarette and stood talking to the guy for a few mins. The doors opened and out came B.B.s crew and loaded onto the van. He was wheeled out and as he passed the young lady walked over giving him a hug addressed him as Uncle B.B.! The guys jaw hit the floor...lol I thanked B.B for staying with us and a safe trip. The guy was still speechless then looks at me and says " I just smoked a cigarette with B.B.Kings neice!" And the tip left for the valets which was split between 3 of us we all ended up with over $200. He was a very generous and gracious gentleman and will be missed in the music world.

RedVee and GregC like this.
  10. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

If he toured with and played it for any significant length, it's one of his Lucilles and that carries a lot of weight.

I think it should be displayed and curated so we can all have a shot at seeing it in person.

11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I don't play guitar, so...

12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

My feelings too. :thumbsup:

That- or this:

Oddly likes this.
  13. Tom Gallo

Tom Gallo Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Outside Boston
    If the guitar was the original Lucille, it would fetch more money. That said, this is a B.B. King owned guitar that was played on stage by the man himself. Completely and totally legit.

14. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    It should go to the Smithsonian.

15. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

RedVee and electracoyote like this.
  16. I’m sure there’s a B.B. King guitar or two on display in the B.B. King Museum in Indianola, MS. Probably in one of the Hard Rock Cafe/Hotel collections, too. There wasn’t one in the Blues Hall of Fame in Memphis when I was there last November. (B.B. was inducted in 1980.) Lucilles may be relatively uncommon; I don’t think B.B. was a guitar hoarder like many others are, or were.

RedVee and electracoyote like this.
  17. ElectricMatthew

ElectricMatthew

Aug 19, 2009
    Little History...

In 2005, for B.B. King's 80th birthday, Gibson made a special run of 80 Gibson Lucilles, referred to as the 80th Birthday Lucille. They presented the first prototype, which was engraved by Baron Technology, Inc, with design work by Scott Jeffrey, to King as a birthday present. King used the guitar as his main guitar until the summer of 2009, when it was stolen. On September 10, 2009, Eric Dahl unknowingly purchased the stolen instrument from a pawn shop in Las Vegas, and was contacted by a Gibson Artist Relations representative, who informed Dahl of the stolen status of the guitar. This Lucille was returned to King in late November 2009.

From Here.

FilterFunk, RedVee and OldDog52 like this.
  18. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I'm Lucille!

AppropriateParchedBlackfootedferret-small.gif

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    FilterFunk, OldDog52 and Winslow like this.
  19. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    [​IMG]

Out. [Bleeping]. Standing.

OldDog52 likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021