B-B-Q Blunder

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by alembicbones, Jul 19, 2001.

1. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Hey Folks,

I pulled a class A, foolish blunder last night.

I was Q'in up some chicken on the BBQ. When I reached for the handle, I grabbed the cover with my index and middle fingers of my fretboard hand.

The current condition is a sq. cm blister on my index finger and a raw crackly middle finger. I picked up one of my basses this morning and it felt ok. Unfortunately, I have a gig this weekend and I don't know how this blister is going to react.

Let this be a lesson. Be really careful around hot stuff, especially when intoxicants are in the area. My injury will heal completely but it could have been way worse.

Wish me luck this weekend.

2. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Ouch! Good luck, bones, I feel for ya. :(

A couple of years ago, I was putting together some Ikea furniture, and I slashed open the tips of my index and middle fingers on my left (fretting) hand. Cut 'em right through the callouses-- I probably should have gotten stitches. I had to lay off the bass for a few weeks. Luckily, I wasn't in a band at the time, so I didn't have to worry about gigs. I have a nice scar on each fingertip to this day...

Hope your fingers heal fast, man...
  3. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You know, agyeman's got somethin' there, IMO.

Otherwise, get out the super glue and slobber some on. It will protect the skin, doesn't get tacky/sticky, and won't wear off your fingers on to the strings during the gig. It may even relieve the pain a little.

Hope the Q was worth it. Good Q is art.
  5. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    my violin teacher has stuff that he makes me put on my fingers to harden the tips. I forget what it's called but i reckon that it's just superglue that he charges $5 for.
  6. oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Good idea, but Bones said he burned his fretboard hand... :(
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Whoops! Good catch, odd.

Okay, super glue.
  8. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Oh yeah :(

Tricky situation.
  9. You play violin too? Groovy! I started learning to play violin in the 2nd grade. But then I stopped in the 3rd (like an idiot). I really wish I'd kept studying it.
  10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    There's some stuff called NuSkin that John Pattitucci said he uses when he gets blisters. I've never used it but I think it works the same way super glue works, just better. Like you squirt some on to your fingers and it dries to the consistency of real skin.
  11. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Good News!!

The fingers appear to be healing nicely. I even made peace with the barbeque and did up a little salmon last night. It was very tasty.

All systems go for Saturday's gig.

12. oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Great news! Have fun and good luck at the gig! :)
  13. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I think we're all guilty of being idiots when we're young. I remember quitting music lessons in my childhood.....how stupid.
  14. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I'm thinking of using that as my signature quote. I remember my mom telling me the same thing. Now I'm trying to teach my daughter except all I say is "No, Sweety, Hot Hot Hot". It seems she's catching on so I bet she'll be a great bass player.

Good luck with the gig.
  15. Now THAT'S what I call Bassist logic! From point A (catching on about HOT HOT HOT) to point B (great BASS player) by way of point Q (???). :D