Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B-Band Statement & Balsereit pickups

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Adrian Cho, Dec 25, 2001.

1. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm wondering if anyone has tried or heard anything about these pickups:

B-Band Statement
    http://193.65.242.29/new/product_statement.shtml
    Has two bridge wing mounted transducers plus one under the bass foot of the bridge (a la Realist). They label the former as being for pizz and the latter for arco and provide a mixer to combine both as you please. The transducers are not piezos but an electret film containin gas bubbles: http://193.65.242.29/new/technology.shtml. This pickup was reviewed positively in Bass Player just recently.

The other pickup that has been mentioned to me is one made by W. Balsereit and can be seen on Jonah Lomhse's pickups page: http://www.jazzpages.com/Doublebass/pickups_GB.html. Scroll down to B for Balsereit.

Adrian

2. The latest issue of Bass Player contains a very favorable review of the statement pickup, with all the info you would need to know.

As far as the W. Balsereit goes, a friend of mine has one and allways talks it up, but you do have to drill a hole the size of a pencil through your bridge, and he had the misfortune of putting in in the wrog spot at first. Swiss Cheese! Ouch.

3. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yes I read that review - you noticed I mentioned it in my post.

Adrian

4. The BP review is a good starting point, but I don't always have a lot of confidence in their reviews. I'm sure that the guy who wrote the article is totally above-board and gave the pup a good workout, but sometimes it seems like there are too many positives in their reviews.

I'm very intrigued by this pup and I am going to try and work out some sort of deal with a local shop that is listed as a dealer on B-Band's website. I really need to hear this pickup on a bass (mine or someone else's) before I drop $500. Despite the rich cost, I'm still very interested.

5. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    It's a lot of $$$ that's for sure. Not much more gets you a Schertler Dyn-B.

I'd love to hear your report if you get a chance to try it.

Adrian

6. I will be happy to post a review once I get an opportunity to audition either the B-Band or the Schertler.

Have you had an opportunity to audition a Schertler? I am considering a 3-hour drive to Oklahoma City to visit a TB'er (monte) to check out his Schertler. I'm primarily interested in their Stat-B; the Dyn-B just seems to be way too much trouble, expense, and too many moving parts.

I just checked out your website - very cool. You seem to be quite an interesting person. Your work on decision engines for banking and fixed interest securities trading seems very interesting to me. Being a mortgage guy with an affinity for technical tools, streamlined decision and pricing tools are very interesting to me.

BTW - your bass looks beautiful!

7. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Well Danny that work was a long time ago - about ten years ago now. In that previous lifetime, I do recall some interesting work modelling FANMAC mortgage bonds that were based on these huge mortgage pools.

I have not yet tried a Schertler but I would like to and in fact I ordered some Velvet Anima strings today to try out and almost ordered a Stat-B with it. I don't have a pickup yet but the Stat-B will likely be the first thing I try (probably with a Contra). That and a mic of course.

Monte is obviously not too far from you but you know that you probably could just call Lou Roten and ask if he will send you a Stat-B on trial. I know one guy (actually that guy I bought my bass from) who did that.

I've only had my bass for a couple of months now but I'm really happy with it and I was very fortunate to find something locally. Well actually it was like eight hours driving from Ottawa but I didn't have to go over the border to the US which would have been considerably more hassle plus duties. The bass was really well setup when I got it and sounds great and will only get better. Actually I should update the page to include some of history I know about the bass such as the previous owners. I find it fascinating to find out about an instrument's history.

Adrian

8. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Yeah man, come on up. We just signed a contract tonight to stay at Maker's Cigar Bar in Bricktown for Feb. & March, every Thurs - Sat. from 9:30-1:30 (some Thurs. may be an hour earlier.

I'm doing something a little different with my rig there now. The first two weeks there I went back and forth between the Stat-B into the AI Contra or the Dyn-B into the house PA. Both solutions were unsatisfactory to me; the Stat-B into the AI Contra sounded nice, but in order to get the volume loud enough for this noisy club, it was too loud on stage for me and the drummer (we couldn't hear the pianist well). The Dyn-B into the PA is usually great, but the house PA sucks, and has one speaker mounted on the ceiling above the bandstand and the other a long ways away by the bar.

Now I'm using the Dyn-B into the Contra (with a $10 Audio-Technica impedance matching 1/4" plug) and a direct out of that to the PA. The Contra volume is very low (gain on about one and Master about 3) and serves mostly as a stage monitor while the PA serves to spread the sound over 100-150 noisy people. Just tonight I had someone come up to look for my microphone. Contact mics are a hard concept to explain, but the results speak for themselves where I'm concerned.

The best part is that I still can carry all my stuff in one trip. I may try going with a conventional mic I'm going to get on trial from Guitar Center (an Octava large diaphragm) since we found a monitor we can use for stage sound. I love my Contra, but I love more taking no amp at all.:)

Monte

P.S. Please sit in when you come up. I haven't gotten a bassist to sit in yet so I can hear what it sounds like at the bar. I have to take the word of the sax player:rolleyes: Maybe I could loan you my Stat-B so you could try it with your rig. I should have brought it with me earlier this week; I was in Ft. Worth Sun-Thurs.

9. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Monte

So you're saying that the Stat-B into the Contra sounded nice (hopefully this also means it was a natural reproduction of your bass) but it was just an issue of volume balance for you and the other members of the band?

My understanding is that the Dyn-B through anything other than the Schertler PA or at least another PA, is not that great. However I can see in this case you are just using the Contra as a monitor.

Adrian

10. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Yeah, that's the weird thing. To play through an amp with any success with the Dyn-B, Schertler recommends that you use their Acoustic Pre-Amp II into the effects loop, by-passing the amp's circuits. The Dyn-B is so high output that I had to use the impedance transformer to match it closer to the amp and do some weird looking settings on the Contra. When playing with no PA I've been plugging into the low gain with the volume knob (actually preamp gain) all the way off and the master volume about 80% up. Then I eq for the room. Not a lot of volume, but the sound is very close to a mic and plenty of volume for a small room/group.

Sometimes I go into the high gain and put the gain on about 1 (barely on) and the master volume about 3. Volume is a little more this way with a similar sound. If I push the master volume up past 60% here it loses clarity.

I want to go try the Dyn-B with a Mackie powered PA speaker and see how it sounds.

Monte

11. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Has anybody had the chance to audition the B-Band system?

12. dan price

dan price

Mar 24, 2000
    monte,
    I live in Edmond, who are you playing with?

13. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Playing mostly with Champian Fulton on piano and vocals, Stephen Fulton on drums (although he is known mostly for his trumpet playing with Jimmy Ford, James Moody, and Clark Terry), and David "Bull" Stewart on tenor sax. You can catch us Thurs 8:30-12:30, Fri 9:30-1:30, and Sat 9-1 at Maker's in Bricktown the rest of this month. April is slow for that band, so I'll be subbing at Nonna's (don't bother there, the pianist is awful)the first and last weekend, at Mickey Mantle's with Champian on the 19th & 20th, and probably with her at NY Pizza on Campus Corner in Norman on the 27th. Then in May we'll be at Maker's every Fri. & Sat.

In addition, keep an eye on the new UCO Jazz Lab up there in Edmond. Lee Rucker called and is going to book us up there soon.

How about you, Dan? Who do you play with? Do you play any upright? I'm always looking for other players to sub. Do you go to UCO or play in any of their bands?

Monte

14. dan price

dan price

Mar 24, 2000
    Monte,
    I play mostly blues, I am starting to get back into the upright tho'. I have a 4 yr. old daughter so I haven't played out much for awhile. I'm looking forward to it now that she is a little older.
    Stephen Fulton, I haven't heard that name in awhile, he used to host the Sunday Jazz program on KGOU. That guy can play drums too? Doesn't surprise me.
    I've been hoping to go catch the 1st lab band rehearse some afternoon, maybe today.
    Do you do any teaching?

Dan

15. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    No teaching right now. I would recommend Don Munday (who I study orchestral with) or Larry Moore for good all around teachers.

Come out some time when you get the chance.

Monte