1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

B-Band Statement STM-SYS buzz problem

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by gangelmn1, Aug 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gangelmn1

gangelmn1

Jan 21, 2011
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have the original B-Band Statement (the one with the footswitch mixer box).
    It has a developed a problem that only manifests at one venue I work at.
    The techs have narrowed it down to the fancy RAT stand lights they use. The lights introduce some kind of EM interference that is picked up/amplified by the Statement mixer. It manifests as a ground loop style hum that we cannot get rid of now matter how we lift all the grounds in the chain. If you move the preamp away from the lights, the cables pick up the interference.
    (I should say that the Statement is running on a 9 volt battery rather than drawing phantom power or using the stage AC).

Desperate for any ideas to alleviate the buzz
    1. could it be some bad wiring in the statement mixer itself? (It has seen a lot of use over the last decade or so)
    2. anyone know where I can get a second mixer? (they don't make it anymore)
    3. does anyone know how to use an alternative preamp and ditch the Statement footswitch?
    I have a Raven Labs PMB-2 and a Radial BassBone that would seem to offer the features I need, but I don't know how B-Band wires the XLR output from the 3 pickup elements. (a quick test of a XLR to 1/4 inch adaptor did not seem to get signal to the Raven).

I am open to any creative solutions. I have another 10 shows at this venue over the next week and I would love to make the board op happier.

thanks in advance
    - Greg

2. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    The op amps at the end of the sensors are very fragile. Sounds like you may have damaged one or more. That's why I got rid of mine.

3. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I feel your pain (and, hear your buzz.) I don't believe that a different preamp/box can be used in place of the Statement footswitch, but I might be proven wrong.
    I used the B-Band Statement system for a few years, and loved it. The wing elements(?) finally crapped out/buzzed out, and I moved on. I gave away the "box" to a colleague who was still using his with no problems.
    Sorry, I don't have any technical solution for you, but you may need to scrap this pickup and move on to the B-Band D-1, which does not have the "box", but is a very nice sounding pickup, IMO. I've been using one for about the past 7 years.
    Good Luck.