Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B-Band Statement vs. Schertler Stat-B

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by pat.p, Jul 26, 2005.

1. pat.p

pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
    Hello.
    I'm going to change my pickup. Although I like the sound of Realist I feel it a little bit to weak and muddy.
    A friend told me about B-Band Statement (three elements with preamp-blender-DI; this is not piezo transducer), I've also heard and read about Stat-B.
    What do you think about both of them? (I use Helicore hybrid strings and GK with Fishman B II)

Thanks for any advice
    Pat

http://www.b-band.com/stringed-instrument-systems/statement.php

2. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I bought the Schertler Stat-B and had a luthier install it on my bridge for $30. They say you can do it yourself, but it's a little bit tricky depending on the dimensions of your bridge. It is a fabulous sounding pickup, easy to install/remove (you just slide it in, or pop it out as the case may be). Most noticeably, the output level from a properly fit Stat-B is outrageously high. I find myself turning the master volume on my amp almost all the way down sometimes.

I know nothing about the B-Band statement but it sounds a bit complicated to me.

3. pat.p

pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
    Thank you for the reply. What kind of preamp do you have? (STAT-PRE or PRE A-II)
    Pat

4. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I went with the Stat-Pre. It sounds good! I guess if you put your bass through the PA a lot, the Pre-AII would be good, but other than that I don't see why it's needed.

Plus the Pre-AII plugs into an outlet, whereas the Stat-Pre has a 9V battery. I have been using the battery that came with the unit since April and it is still fine.

5. pat.p

pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
    So, I've made a choice and decided to buy Stat-B.
    Installed properly (by luthier) sounds great. Big, round sound, strong signal, much stronger than Realist.
    I've ordered it directly from Switzerland- they have professional customer service (Ornella Tela is a very nice person).
    Tbeers- thanks for the advice. :hyper: :bassist: :cool: