1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

B&C Drivers Xmax

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Russell L, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Anyone got the scoop on how these drivers do on excursion? I can easily make the 12" in my Markbass CMD 121H run out of excursion, but the 15" in my Traveler 151P cab holds up much better with the same eq, volume, and attack.

Who would have the xmax figures for these drivers? Are they long excursion? Medium? Or what? Anyone know?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    B&C SPEAKERS

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Thanks, Bill.

I'm not sure which ones are in my Markbass stuff, but most of them say 8-9mm of xmax. Is that long excursion? How much difference would 1mm make as far as keeping a speaker from bottoming out?

Sorry, these may sound like dumb questions, but I really don't understand much of it, and I'm trying to learn.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Only MarkBass can say, and they probably won't.
    It depends. The difference between 3mm and 4mm is major, that between 8mm and 9mm slight. Every doubling of xmax quadruples the power it can take before going non-linear. By the same token one driver with 8mm xmax can run as loud as two with 4mm xmax.