B.C. Rich and Epiphone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SantasCabanaBoy, Jan 30, 2001.

1. SantasCabanaBoy

Jan 15, 2001
    Hi, I am looking to buy a cheap bass for backup and practice becuase my current practice bass is falling apart. Can you offer me any opinions on the B.C. Rich Platinum Warlock and the the Epiphone Explorer bass. Thank you!
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    wht not the epiphone t-bird? i think it is the best between epiphone solidbody bass line.
  3. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I don't like the sound of the B.C. Rich basses. They look cool but sound bad.
  4. darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    I agree about the BC Rich. Their guitars are the same way. Epiphone makes consistent instruments. I'd say go with the Ep.
  5. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    First things first.Whats your definition of cheap.Epi makes some nice bass's.Some are not all that cheap though.Some are but they stink.Decent Epis run about 300-450.The less expensive models id avoid.I tried a Fender MIM P today that was real nice.About 300 new.Good luck!
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I recently played one of the Epi T-birds. It is a decent bass; however, I would go with the MIM Fender P or J for $300.
    All of the BC Rich Basses are not cheap or sound crappy. I own two and while the (the cheaper one) USA made Bich does sound crappy, my Eagle has a growl that sounds great. I probably record with it almost as often as my Fenders. I have gotten several unsolicited compliments on my sound the few times I have gigged with the Eagle.
  7. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    i own a bc rich platinum warlock and i really like it but i put a emg p/j set in it i didnt like the original pickups but other than that the bass is a good one i got mine with no inlay ebony fingerboard and white full body binding for around $430 you could get the standard for around 400 and new p/u's cost me $130 but its worth it in the long run
  8. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I have a Made in USA Iron Bird that I have know idea what it sounds like anymore as i have not picked it up in years. I do know that the balance sucks and a Brad pleasing wide string spacing.
  9. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have owned an Epiphone Thunderbird IV (4-strings) for 3 years, and it hasn't let me down. I bought it for about $340 on Musician's Friend.

It's a good bass that can deliver a decent variety of sounds. It is my first and only bass and I'm very happy with it. It looks awesome...