Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B.C. Rich Mockingbird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnmallory34, Jun 15, 2003.

1. johnmallory34

johnmallory34

Jun 13, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Has anyone played this bass? It looks cool, and the pickups are interesting with the two p-bass pickups. Anyway, is this a good bass? Is it active or not? I have a chance to get one real cheap. Thanks for the help.:bassist:

2. johnmallory34

johnmallory34

Jun 13, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    bump, cmon guys and gals, help me out.

3. i wouldnt.
    and im serious.

if its a platinum, it should be alright....but anything less wouldnt be worth it...you know.

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I have an American made BC Rich and it is awesome. I mean it is one of the best sounding and most versatile basses out there. I wouldn't mess with anything from BC Rich unless it is one of their american made ones. There really is quite a difference in quality. Here's a picture of mine.
    [​IMG]

5. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Thats my favorite B.C. Rich shapes. Theyre so cool. They remind me of that scene of waynes world, when there at the Alice Cooper show, and the guitarist has one.

6. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I agree, The US made ones are Phenomenally better. I have a US made Warlock and i have a Platinum Warlock and the quality difference is amazing. I have played this Mockingbird. Its very light, its passive with Basslines Hot-p's, Badass 1 Bridge.

7. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    The platinum and the imports do not typically have the active elctronics. And they definitely do not have all the tone shifters, coil taps, preamps, and the super cool electronics like the US models have. Also, the imports typically have bolt on necks, whereas the US models are mostly neck thru. The quality of woods are definitely different as well. I don't know if the Platinum or NJ series are solid wood or not, but the US models have solid woods such as maple or mahogany. The US models also typically feature Dimarzios and a BadAss bridge. Even though the imports can be made to play or sound decent, the only thing BC Rich about them to me is the unique shape. The craftsmanship, electronics and materials of a USA BC Rich aren't in the imports. If you can find a US Mockingbird in decent playing shape, I highly recommend it. You may find one cheapish because of the 80s Metal connotation of the BCs. It's an awesome, awesome bass. Comparable to an Alembic, Pedulla, or any expensive high end bass.

8. David Salow

David Salow

Nov 11, 2003
    San Diego
    How old is it? Some of the new ones, imported, etc, are just cheap basses. The US ones are nice - but try to find a pre-'83 koa or maple neck-through. Those are fine instruments. Even the Bernardo Series is a nnice unit, but are usually built-to-order and are hard to find. In fact the only one I ever saw on eBay had been stolen - After I put a bid in,the rightful owner emailed me and I withdrew.

I have a '78 Koa Eagle with factory Bill Lawrence humbuckers. Very rare, but in awful condition - the headstock got a bad crack when my guitar player knocked it off the stand, I sold it to him for full value, he had it repaired, sold it to someone else who sold it again, and I bought it back over 10 years later! Now it sits in a closet...but why restore it with a cracked head?

Anyway, good luck, and don't settle. There are $200 basses out there that play and sound better than $2000 basses.

9. ryuujin

ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    I really like the BC Rich Beast.

10. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I picked up an '82 USA Mockingbird last week and I am blown away by the quality of this bass. It's a bird's eye neck/block with quilt wings in easy 9.8 condition. The playability and sounds of this bass put it right up with the boutique models of today. After all, it was exactly that back then. If you come across one of these, get it! Though they were quite a bit cheaper several years ago because of the '80's "hair band" connotation, they are still undervalued IMO.

I like these enough that I sold my Pedulla MVP4 Signature and bought a '77 Eagle Supreme with DiMarzio humbuckers and the same compliment of electronics. A slightly different body shape, same masterful construction.

11. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Hey Jive - i'm a bit late in catching this thread, but if you ever wanna sell that thing i'm only about 5 miles away from ya =0) That's tasty lookin'.

12. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Thanks, but this one's a keeper.

13. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Awesome looking bass Jive1! Too bad it has standard P routing. I was looking at one with reverse-P's on BunnyBass, Koa with maple stripers. Gorgeous, but they wanted $1800 for it. :( Plus I want one in black... anybody know what year they switched from reverse-P to standard P?

PICK, wicked pics! Were you opening for Destruction at that show? Nice reverse-P/J config on that puppy too, and with Duncans... drool :D

14. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Nagh, thats not my band thats my mates band and they opened for Destruction when they played here. Thats his Mockingbird and honestly i dont think he will ever play another bass.

15. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Here's a shot of mine....

16. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Here's the neck - the figuring is really amazing!