Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B.C Rich NJ Beast

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diabolic, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Diabolic

Diabolic

Aug 25, 2005
    TX
    Ok i recently got a BCR beast bass but its kinda heavy as it a huge chunk of wood, ok sometime i have trouble play on it. It goes downward if i let go of the neck? what can i do, i think it might be the strap am using what do u think?

[​IMG]

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    FYI, most of us can see pretty good so you don't have to put your entire post in bold type.

As I'm one of the few BCR guys here I'll try and help. The Beast is just a neck heavy bass and there is only so much you can do.

If your using a standard nylon strap try going to a really wide (4") leather strap. It will give a larger contact area with your body to help control the neck dive.

The only other thing you can do is relocate the strap buttons. I recommend that as the last option if the strap fails to solve the problem. Basically you move the rear button higher and move the forward button as far forward as possible.

Good luck! :bassist:

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Awww, the anti-tash beat me to a BCR post!

4. I have an NJ Beast too, and you just have to learn to deal with the weight. Personally, I got a wide, padded strap like Kelly Lee suggested, and also a second, much lighter bass (Schecter) to swap out with sometimes. :bassist:

5. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    I also play the NJ Beast.

I just learned to live with it but am thinking of puting more weight in the body to make an attempt to counteract the headstock weight (or even maby machining some wood out of the headstock... but its too beautiful to do that to it)

6. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey! I too have a NJ Beast...Jeez its like we have a little community on here eh?

Anyways, I got a leather strap (not very wide) and then replaced the top right cornor "neck screw" with a longer one of the same size, i then the the bottom portion of a schaller straplok and filed a little bit of both the staplok and the screw (jsut the head of the screw) down because normally they dont fit. So now instead of having my strap by the upper horn, I have it clost to where the enck meets the body...next to perfect balance!

P.S. I may be considerign getting another nj bass, but I'm wondering, do you guys think that most nj's are bad and that you got a good one/that all NJ are bad/that all NJ's are good/ That most are good, but that you got a bad one?

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Would a high mass bridge help counter the neck dive enough for you guys?

8. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I havent tried it, but I wouldnt think so. Good idea though, someone should give it a shot and tell us how it works!

9. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC

I think that NJ's are great bassesbut the size and proportions are out of wack and need to be balanced a little better (neck to body weight) to make it more playable

10. [​IMG]

Bah! Watch those higher frets. If you miss, you could impale your hand! :p

I'm sure it sounds fine though...

11. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    :D :D :D

12. I like the beast...

But Im more of a Mockingbird and Widow bass fan. :bag:

13. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Hey, there is nothing wrong with either one of those! Matter of fact, I have been thinking about building me a Warmoth M'bird or maybe my own custom Widow sixer. :bassist:

14. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Do mockingbirds come in 5 string versions? If so, I may get one!

I'm having a few problems with my beast though. The neck really abdly needs adjsuting, but I guess thats fair enough, I've had it for a year and i shipped from south of the states all the way to southern alberta, then got taken from extremely hot dry weather (here) to cold wet weather (vancouver island) and back again. Another thing is that the allen key to adjust the neck is to small :( .

15. i did the same thing with my beast- tried the wide strap first,
    then had to move the upper strap button- it still had a little neck dive, so now i tape the strap with electrical tape to the upper horn- looks weird but balances perfectly.
    i love the sound of these bc riches, i also have a neck through warlock thats great looking, sounds good, fun to play, but suffers the same neck dive problem , but not as severly as the beast

16. Nope, No NJ 5 string Mock's. Ive seen a custom USA one, But those are way not worth the cash IMO(except maybe the Widow, They are really rare) If you want A five string Mock, Just do a Warmoth, Then you can have more pickup options. Me personlly, Wouls like to have a 4 string Mockingbird with two Bart tri Coil MM pups, Maple body, Ovankol top and ash center top, Maple/purple heart neck, ANd a matching headstock. Ah sh***, I think Ive got major Mockingbird GAS again... Damn you Tbird... Damn you...

17. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Sorry, Warmoth does not make the Mockingbird body in a 5 string version :crying: I was thinking the same thing and contacted them about it and they said they couldn't do it :(

18. Damn them...

Oh well, Theres The BC Rich custom shop and then theres getting one made by a Luthier. And if my calculations are correct, Your better off with the custom shop, A 5 string Mock shouldnt be anymore than $4000 :bawl:

19. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    It'd probably be closer to $7000.

I was quoted $6800 for a 5 string mockingbird a few years ago by BCR's custom shop. The company has been bought and sold about fifty times since then though, so their prices might have dropped considerably.

20. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    For the longest time I couldn't find a Virgin 4 so I contacted the Customshop to see what it would cost. Imagine my surprise when it was only going to be $2900! :rolleyes: