1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

B.C. Rich or ESP?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RIPcliff, Apr 24, 2001.

1. RIPcliff

RIPcliff

Apr 24, 2001
    Alpharetta, GA
    I have a delima. I have a choice between a B.C. Rich Platinum seris Warlock or the ESP LTD f-204. if anybody out there has played both these, please tell me which is a better buy. thanx.

2. None...
    :)
    If you dont have another chance,i will prefer Ltd but if you are looking for a bright sounded bass (it looks like you are..) try the ibanez soundgear series.They are same priced but better build.It is better to play,stays in tune and sounds better...

3. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    dude dont bother with ibanez unless you look at a signature modle the btb1000 or a good atk cuz those soundegears are pretty bad i know people with them ive played them and they dont match a hair to my bc rich warlock (with emgs) or my washburn bantam the soundgears fall out of tune in a 30 minute (sr885 the one im talking about) and unless you like to hear nothing but clicking like fieldy when you slap dont bother with ibanez i would say go with the bc rich i personally like them i wanted that esp too but they were soo damn hard to find so i bought the bantam but if you do go for the bc i would recomend switching to emgs down the line they are deffinaly worth every penny

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I beg to differ. I hate B.C. Riches, get one of the NORMAL looking ESP's. They sound good. Especially the older ones. My friend Doug has one.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i guess that you are interested in b.c. rich and esp because you play heavy metal. i suggest you to focus on the sound much more than tha body shape or the endorsment. if i'm no wrong with this incipit, i'll suggest you to go with different basses. first, go and see a second hand selection of basses. you could find thunderous basses maybe not so beautiful in look and CHEAP. there was an old charvel jackson equipped with emg pj pickups that was awesome. if you want a new bass try the spector, maybe the schecter too. pay attention to the pickups and never forget the sound you want. it's the most important aspect of a bass.

good luck
    marco

6. muggsy

muggsy

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    My first bass was an ESP B-204, which is similar to the F-204 but with a more conventional body style. It was very well built and a great value. I haven't played a BC Rich, but I'd definitely recommend the ESP.

7. RIPcliff

RIPcliff

Apr 24, 2001
    Alpharetta, GA
    hey people just because i play heavy metal doesnt mean i just want the look i have played both basses and both sound kickass to me. they r exactly what i wanted. i just wanted to know which is a better buy. thanx to all the ones who understand where i come from, all the rest need to realize iasked which of the two u think is better not what u want me to do with "MY" (key word there people) hobbie.

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm sorry, As far as I knew you were asking for advice. I didn't know giving your more guidance was a problem. We're telling you to look at more than just the two basses you mentioned. Try stuff like MIA P-basses, MIA J's. You were only asking about two basses that the only similiarity is in looks, and sounding what most would describe as bad. I think you'd be better off with a Spector. If you want insight from a band that uses one? PanterA's bassist uses a Spector. And I assure you that you'll like one much more than any B.C. Rich or ESP.

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm sorry too. maybe i misunderstood your point of view. if you play heavy metal and if you tried both basses and like them both i'll suggest you o buy the cheaper. but don't forget to try a spector, you'll be amazed, the used czech are affordable i boought mine in five string for the corrispective of 600 us $. and trust me between the import bc rich or the esp and the czech spector there is absolutely no match. spector hands down.

marco

10. I'd go with the ESP, as BC's are notorious for bad quality control. And Christian Olde Wolbers of Fear Factory plays one :D

11. B.C. Rich's suck. ESPs are pretty good. You make the choice. Really try to play one.

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Woulden't pick ESP or Rich either. I'd rather go for something like Ibanez BTB or ATK or Yamaha RBX, for heavy metal bass.

13. I'd choose neither. BC riches look cool but they're very poorly balanced. take your hands off them and they tumble down.

Haven't had the chance to play an ESP but I haven't heard many good things about them either.

Go for Ibanez or something like that.

BTW: I believe C.O.W. plays ibanez too..

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    He plays Fenders.

15. And of course, just because a bassist plays a certain brand on the current tour, thats all he plays, right? So, Tony Iommi has only ever played a Gibson SG? No. Christian played ESP on Demanufacture and Obsolete, and toured with these basses. The Fenders are new for Digimortal, and are custom shop Fenders with a MM pickup and a single control(I'm guessing volume). No other basses are given reference to in the album sleeve of Digimortal, so its only reasonable to presume that the custom basses were used in the recording of Digimortal. ESP were good enough for him then, and this is why I recommend them. I feel they are very comparable to Ibanez as a company, with a well-established custom shop and a bad rap for their mass-produced stuff. But there are a few gems in both the ESP and Ibanez lines(B series and BTB series respectively). This guy is set on ESP or BC Rich, so I recommend ESP, as BC Riches are notorious for bad quality.

Jeez, if you want to try and correct me on one of my favourite band's equipment in a dismissive tone you could at least have done some research.

16. "This guy plays a bass Brand X, so it must be very good, so you should play one too!"

Get a grip, people.

17. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    get a grip

18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I agree, we're trying to find someone a bass, not hold a pissing contest. :)

19. LMAO

By the way, I'd pick the ESP. B.C. Rich makes good guitars, but their basses aren't the best. IMO I wouldn't want to play a bass that looked like a medival weapon.

20. You must have misunderstood. I was mentioning the 'Buy Brand X' thing in a sarcastic way. If you read my post I post an actual reason as to buy ESP over BC Rich. The follow up post was to try and show Angus that Christian Olde Wolbers does play ESP basses. Yes, it really has nothing to do with the original post, but the way in which Angus said it(short answer, dismissive) provoked me to prove him wrong.

Now why don't we stop getting on my back for having a laugh at an old joke and actually help the original poster?