Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B.C. Rich, please help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greenantgods, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Greenantgods

Greenantgods

Oct 18, 2004
    I am looking at basses...and the NJ Eagle (B.C. Rich) caught my eye...does B.C. Rich make good basses...and if so which are good. Thanks.

2. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    I hate to break it to you, but me and 95% of everyone else on talkbass will agree that B.C rich basses are for looks mainly, like take a 600 dollar bc rich, that looks really cool aye? well the sound of that 600 dollar bc rich is gonna sound like a 200 dollar yahmaha. so idk if you care about looks that much, go ahead and get it, but I would suggest getting Yahmaha RBX374 4-String Bass or something, o ya and dont get a ibanez..........................................................................................................just kidding ibanez are good but personally i recomend Yahmaha, oooooooooooooor if you got like 400 sumthin bucks, GET A FENDER JAZZ trust me i got one, they are soooooooo aweseme ask anyone, they are the best bass for 400 sumthin bucks.

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    +!
    The only ones I would every buy are the early 80's or late 70's USA made models. The only weak link in those are the electronics. Even the early NJ series aren't totally bad, but if you're limited on money, there are plenty of other brands that will sound and play better than a Rich, IMHO.

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I played some of the new models available at this year's NAMM show (and got my picture taken with the, er, actress there :D ) and actually I was impressed with the quality of look, feel, and sound of the NJ and the Handcrafted lines of basses. They played well, and delivered good low bass. The only reason I wouldn't buy one is that BC Rich designs always look like they'd stab me somewhere.

5. 69'Vette

69'Vette

Jan 28, 2003
    Cedar Hills, UT
    That's the great thing about the Eagle. It doesn't look like any other BC Rich model (well, except for the Seagull, but that's going way back).

As far as the original question goes, I'd say an older NJ Eagle is a good choice. I'm not familiar with the newer ones, but I have an '83 (or so) Japanese made Warlock that's as nice as the two US Rich's ('77 Eagle and '81 Mockingbird) I've owned.

It is true that BC Rich ruined a good reputation by flooding the market with sub par versions of their high end lines, but that will never mean those high end models aren't great guitars and basses.

6. What would all of you say if I could get a Mockingbird 4 Platinum for $375.00???

It's amazing, I was so eager to get home from work tonight so I could get on TB, and ask the very question that started this thread!

Thinkin' this is a Co-inky-dink!
    ~Ryan.

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    From my experience, if you're not sold on the body shape of an import BC Rich, don't buy it. The USA models are awesome, and the electronics are just fine. The imports are just meh.

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    So I don't repeat myself once again read my opinions and experiences here:
    Another "Whut Bass 4 Me" thread - BC Rich?
    New BC Rich Basses

Sorry, but I have this same discussion/argument over BC Rich way too often. :rollno:

I wonder how many of the BC Rich naysayers have actually played one before just passing judgement because of the look and/or opinions of others? :meh:

I like BC Rich. I own two and probably will buy more of them and its not for their looks.
    Well, one of them I have is for its tone and "The Look"! :D

9. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If you are feeling ambitious try building one. Warmoth sells Eagle, Mockingbird and Warlock bodies.

I'm doing a fretless warlock this summer.

Well I've owned 4: 2 platinums, an NJ and a USA. The US one was nice, the NJ so so and the others crap.

I bought them for looks though, so I guess I can't complain, they all did that part really well.

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    If you want an Eagle, go for warmoth i'd say.

11. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Just so you know, I wasn't targeting anyone specifically! :)

You know most people walk by a BC and don't even give it a chance. I have tried something from all three series of imports. Yes, I don't care for the Bronze or Platinum series but I do like the NJ series of the ones I have played.

A fretless Warlock huh? Please post up some pics when you get it done as I would love to see it. I have been thinking of building a Warmoth Mockingbird myself. Even though I like the NJ series I know I can build one better from Warmoth parts.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I like their older basses, had an '84 Warlock, didn't last long with me, but sounded pretty darn nice for the $200 I paid for it. Took a beating, then sold it.

The USA Riches are real nice, plus I'm quite fond of P/P pickup configurations.

13. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I will have pics of the various stages as I complete them.

I had a poll up a bit ago for picking my top and finish...I think Flame Maple/Emerald won, but I might end up doing See Thru black over FM instead.

14. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Weak link?

15. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Sweet! :bassist:

Any of those finishes you put up could look awesome. Thats why I didn't vote. I couldn't make a decision as to which one I thought was best! Well, that and I'm the anti-Tash! :p

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

16. Would a BC Rich neck (like the "handmade" ones, with just the "R") fit to a Warmoth body??? I was thinking of doing a Humbucker Mockingbird, and I just hate Warmoth's headstock selection, and I don't have much wood working experience to cut my own from the plank. (Plus, I just plane out don't want to do it, or pay for it.)

Thanks in advance,
    ~Ryan

17. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Warmoth bodies are fitted with a standard fender neck pocket. I don't know if a Rich bolt on neck would fit...and even if it would you'd pretty much have to buy an entire guitar to get the neck. BCR does not sell necks to consumers, only to authorized repair shops.

I'm doing an LP style headstock on mine, with a body mathcing veneer.

18. I guess I could get an LP headstock, and attempt to do a little reshaping, under correct supervision... Or I could just get an LP headstock, and say f--- it, it's close enough to what I want... Or, I might just go buy this Platinum Mockingbird I found for an ultra mega low price of $375.00 at a local music store... Hmmm... decisions, decisions...

...stumped.
    ~Ryan

19. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If you decide to build one Warmoth parts will be way more than $350. You'll get a better bass in the end (assuming you don't screw it up) but it'll cost you.

My budget for parts is $1300 and I'm squeaking under because I'm only doing a single EMG DC35. Something to keep in mind.