Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B.C. Rich?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigdavis_08, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Bigdavis_08

Bigdavis_08

Oct 7, 2004
    Hugoton, KS
    I'm getting my 1st bass and i was looking at a BC Rich Blem Platinum Warlock Bass. Anybody know if this is a good bass for Metal? Thanks

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Lookswise, I find that you'll stand out more than anything. Few people actually use those, and they're actually quite uncomfortable. You'll find most metal bassists use something much more conservative like a P-Bass or a Jazz bass or a Stingray. Check out everything you can afford, don't worry about looks, worry about how it feels and sounds.

3. Bigdavis_08

Bigdavis_08

Oct 7, 2004
    Hugoton, KS
    i cant afford any of that stuff. My bass has to be under 400. heres my choices:

BC Rich Blem Platinum Warlock
    Spector SSD Performer 4 string
    Ibanez srx300
    Epiphone Goth Thunderbird 4 string

im really looking at that bc rich......but also the epiphone

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You CAN afford a P-Bass, a Jazz, or an OLP Stingray. You just either need to buy used or Mexican.

5. IME the Warlocks have had some horrible neck dive and a very awkwardly shaped body making them annoying to play.

Of those choices my vote would be for the SRX, my second choice would be the Epi.

6. Don't do it. They're really uncomfortable (as stated) and they don't play very well.

7. Bigdavis_08

Bigdavis_08

Oct 7, 2004
    Hugoton, KS
    i think im just gonna get the Epiphone

8. THE SPECTOR, get the SPECTOR!!! Spectors are great basses, if not, then get the epiphone.

9. DO NOT GET THE B.C. RICH! they are oejn of the most crappy basses out there!

i would get the spector, a tun better then the b.c. rich

but honestly you shoudl get a fender jazz or p-bass, dont be affraid of the JAZZ part that means nothing, i bet you a p-bass would sound more metal than a b.c. rich!

NEVER EVER EVER, BY A BASS ON LOOKS, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

10. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    I would get the Spector, the only BC Rich I would buy, is a custom shop Mockingbird or Beast, I have played a couple BC Rich customs, and they are very nice.

11. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    I often use a bc rich nj series warlock. I've put some emgs in there but even before I did the tone was pretty good. I've always used good amplification though, which is more important to overall tone than your bass is. I think you would be fine with the platinum warlock and some good pickups going into a high quality amp. I get the feeling that a lot of people here aren't really into metal and don't like the looks of bc rich and are basing their opinions on that. I feel that image is an important part of a great performance and the aesthetics of an instrument should not be totally ignored. If you think it looks cool then go for it and don't be swayed by all the ultra conserativism here.

also, I don't agree that warlocks are uncomfortable to play. Sitting down the bass will rest across your leg pretty much like any other bass will. Standing, there is a bit of a neck dive but that happens with a lot of basses, and guitars as well. Each instrument has it's unique quirks and nuances. After about a week of using it you will figure out how to balance it so it feels natural.

12. timibud

timibud

Aug 29, 2004
    Colorado
    The Epi's got a good bit of neck-dive as well. Try to wear one before you buy one, better yet, play one!

13. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Get the Spector.... you won't regret it. :bassist:

The cheap BC Rich's are nasty.... :spit:

14. Another vote for the Spector. Spectors can look very "metal", IMO, while being visually suitable for just about any other musical style.

Other than that, get the T-bird or a P-bass. :cool:

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Sorry, but you can't polish a turd.

Lots of people make the mistake of thinking the amp is more important than the bass but they will eventually learn otherwise ;)

16. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    A costly lesson it took me awhile to learn.

17. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Bc Rich? The $1200.00 USA custom shop models rock. The others are for image only. I had a Warlock as my second bass in the 80's. It looked bad ass but sounded no better than any $100.00 bass with cheap passive pups. If a simple bass sound and image will satisfy you, get one. If a better sound is important get the Epiphone, used Fender or hell, you can buy three basses for $400.00 if you go SX and could get the modern body, Pbass and Jbass and all would sound as good as the Warlock. Point being that if the Warlock is wanted for looks, it will work nicely. The Fenders and Epiphone will not only look great but sound better. I traded the Warlock for Klipsch speakers and now play a Fender bass. I miss the Warlock looks but not the tone. :eyebrow:

18. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    i played a warlock bass in a store, and i had a warlock guitar. i dont recommend either. i'd recommend my yamaha RBX170, which is one of the cheapest basses there is, over that, for sure.

19. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Have you looked for ESP LTD basses? They have some nice ones under $400. Such as the B-154, F-104 and Viper-104. All of them have a great look IMO, and are nice basses with the "ESP ABQ-2 active EQ" wich should give you a nice sound for metal.

But as always, the best thing to do is try some models in a store. By the way, many demonstration models in stores I went too cost lower because many people tried them and blah blha blah... just as demo cars in fact!

20. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I see no real problems with the Warlock. I've played a few Bronze and Platinum's and they've been fine. Granted, they're not the USA Custom Shop models but no biggie. They're fine instruments and aren't as bad as Warwicks when it comes to neck dive.

If you're happy with it, go for it. B.C. Rich have never been popular around here (if mainly because of some of their pointy shapes). Me? I'd eventually like to get a custom shop Mockingbird :D