Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B.C. Rich

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPanther, Apr 4, 2002.

1. I'm just curious as to what you all think about the B.C. Rich line of basses. And don't give me any of the "they look like guitars from the 80's" junk. I want some opinions about sounds and playability, particularly in metal/hard rock music. Also if anyone has played/owns the NJ Beast bass please tell me about it, I'm considering that for my next bass purchase.

2. the korean models have a very nasal sound.. i don't like them.. :(

their guitars are nice for metal tho..

3. If they had better electronics, I would buy one. I love the look of the Beast, and kick myself for not buying one when I had the opportunity. I would never pay full price for one, because of the poor electronics, but if I found a used one at a discounted price, I'd grab it and upgrade the elec. stuff.

One slight problem with BC rich, and specifically the beast, is you are limited in what bands will accept you. With a Beast, you're pretty much stuck with playing metal, goth, and other dark, heavy music. can you imagine playing in a blues band, or a country western band with a Beast? :D

One more thing, they aren't balanced very well, IME. The Beast, as cool looking as it is, is one uncomfortable axe.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'd agree with that except I think they are the most "un-cool-looking" basses I have ever seen! :rolleyes: Those pointy bits are the last thing you want on an instrument that is in close contact with your body! ;)

Basically, the biggest drawback, is that you are never going to get taken seriously with a bass like this! :D

5. Well, to each thier own I guess.:D

I'd never use it as my primary bass, but it does fit in for some situations. Definitley not as versatile as a P bass, which could be played in any situation.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Like the "Spinal Tap" re-union tour - hey they found "StoneHenge"! :D

7. Chaosgwar- What do you mean by "poor electonics"? Also I want to play in a metal band, I don't really want to do the Jazz/funk thing. No offense to anyone else who does it.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As others have said, the electronics are not very good sounding, and the more radical designs are extremely unbalanced.

They are pointy, though!

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The American made ones are really quite nice. The Korean ones that I have seen I consider as junk.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I personally can't stand guitars that have the "pointy" look. I can dig Ibaenz Icemen and some of the LTD stuff, but I'm not really fond of the guitars that look like Medival weapons.

But that's just my personal opinion.

I did get to try a BC Warlock out though a few months ago. (I didn't get a chance to plug it in) and I really didn't like the neck on it. It felt very uncomfortable. (Though playing fast was very easy on it)

I felt kind of wierd playing my Blues and Funk riffs on it though. :D

11. The mock' is do-able.. but the otherss... BRRRR :(

[​IMG]

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    In my opinion, the cheese factor is sky high, Hell, you'd be better off trying to snag one of those old Gene Simmons "axe" basses by Kramer from years back. ;)

Seriously though, I tend to go for designs which are relatively timeless. Depending upon how old you are, it's possible that, say, 5 years from now, you may not be into what you're into now.

But if you get a solid bass with a more, say "traditional" style, you can pretty much use it for anything you play.

13. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    That huge pointy thing on the beast REALLY gets in the way. It is almost imposible to play sitting down or if you wear it too high. I didn't like the sound much, it sounded nasal and boingy, not much low end to it.

14. Well, the pick ups are really generic. They don't sound very good, IMO. I think the stock P pick up in my Squier sounds better than the BC Rich.

If you decide to get one, I'd save up a little extra money and put in some BassLines 1/4 pound pick ups. In fact, you might do well to gut it of all electronics, add new pups, pots, jack, etc.

That's what I would do anyway.

15. embellisher

Either that or use it for firewood.

16. That would be seriously sweet after a show! Set the Beast aflame!!

17. embellisher

:D

Seriously, the USA Rich models are top notch stuff, even if I do hate the way they look.

The NJ, Platinum, and Bronze(or whatever they are called) are IMHO POS basses. Maybe better than a Rogue, but that's about it.

18. Yeah, thats true. I found an American made neckthrough Beast for around $500. These retail around a grand, IIRC. It played just fine. I still found the pups a little weak.

19. Busk

Busk

Jan 31, 2002
    I like some of the shapes. A little flamboyant for some, but BC Rich makes some great guitars and perhaps basses. I remember that early 80's USA Mockingbird basses were pretty good sounding and playing. They were versatile too. Nowadays I have no idea. The company sells so much non-US junk that I can't trust anything but their custom shop. For guitars, their custom shop work is excellent, so I assume there are some very good luthiers there who could build you a sweet bass in one of the BC Rich shapes, but you'll pay dearly for it.

I'd try to get a USA model from 1980-2 and drop in some new electronics, whatever will fit without routing. You may be able to do this for less than $800. I don't think you will find a mint 1980 Mockingbird bass with a 5 piece neck through in clear maple for under $500. They are a bit collectable these days.

20. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I have a 1987'ish US Warlock bass and i love it! I changed the stock Dimarzio p pickup and put a badass 1 bridge on it and now it F#@king rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!