B.C. RICO (rich)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JHMAVRO, Nov 1, 2000.

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Today I found A very interesting bass. It has A body very similar to a B.C. Rich mokingbird, but its a little more sudle (sp?). It acually reminds me of an Alembic (I guess you'd have to see it), but It has 2 P-bass pick ups. It's neck-thru, and its in an odd color, sort of a light, or maybe pastel yellow. Its different but not really flamboyant (sp?). One thing concerns me, The name on the headstock (wich is traditional with a 2&2 config.), is B.C. Rico (and thats not a type-o ;) ). Has any body ever seen/ heard of this????? I have a strong urge to pick it up tomarro, but really shouldnt. Im in the middle of purchasing a P.A. rig and I just got my P-bass not long ago.
    Its kind of dirty and needs some wiring, and allso only has 4 strings wich meens I'll allmost never play it but I still want it so bad. Somebody help!!!! Oh ya, Its $375 bucks, For all I know it could be worth more or less but This thing is cool.
  2. I had a "Rico" guitar which was very nice. From what I have been able to find out from other collectors is that the Rico's were the very first Japanese versions from around 20 years ago or so. They are very well made indeed and are actually somewhat collectable themselves. There's no question that the materials and workmanship are still very good on these instruments although sometimes the decorative touches are somewhat more plain (things like dot position markers instead of the bigger "leafy" ones on the US versions).

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    I just talked to a buddy of mine. He said something about
    B.C. Rico being the origanal name for the B.C. Rich company.
    They had to change there name because "Rico" a company that made drums or accodians or something threatend to sue. This guys pretty goood with stuff like that but it Sounds kind of questionable to me. I'm gonna check around.
  4. No, that sounds right to me. I heard that story too. The guy's name was Bernard Rico after all. That bass is definately the real article, but it may be a Japanese one.
  5. Mr Socko

Mr Socko Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2000
    I had a Rico Mockingbird in the late 70's but mine was
    a transparent red neck through. It was made in the U.S.
    and I heard the same Bernie Rico story with the name.
    It was a nice bass but not the same in craftsmanship
    or as nice of components, like active electronics as
    my Koa 78 B.C Rich Mockingbird. Still not a bad bass at

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    I don't care much for the shape of the current B.C. Richs, But this one is really cool.
    If It was a five string I'd go for it but, right now I cant justify blowing $375 for a bass That Im not really gonna use. :(