Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B.C. Rico???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ProjectGenome04, Nov 16, 2002.

1. I've had a B.C. Rico Wave bass for quite some time now, about 3 years and I never really knew a damn thing about it. I don't know how much it is worth because I got it for free and whenever I search on the internet I don't really get much info if any at all. Does anyone have a damn clue what one of these is worth, how rare they are, etc.? It's a neck-through and plays amazing, the serial on the back is R1667. I heard somewhere that Ricos were rare because they got caught at the border and most were impounded due to legal sh*t. I don't know if they started re-releasing Ricos or if this was in that initial first shipment. B.C. Rico is basically a B.C. Rich but supposed to have been made in Asia (China, Korea, Japan, somewhere around there). If anyone has any info I'd be mighty thankful.

-Ian

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    :confused:

I have honestly never heard of them.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Bernie Rico was the original owner of the company. These were the first run of Japanese NJ series, and were a more affordable version of the MIA neck-thru models. The first ones had the "BC Rico" logo on the headstock. They were sued by Rico Reeds (who was already using the "Rico" name). From then on they used the "B.C.Rich" logo. The Rico series are well built instruments, nothing at all like the junk they import today.

4. A guy I've played with had a blue B.C. Rico, and thought it was a B.C. Rich copy. Wish he could see this, interesting, thread. Thanks for the info Turock!
    I agree about them being well made, as well. The one I tried was really solid. I wasn't completely sold on it's sound, or looks, though.

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I had a nice red one in 1983 or 1984 (can't remember which). It was an excellent bass and I regret selling it to this day. Very playable, I liked the tone I got, and it was solid.

I must go ruminate now, you have sent me down memory lane. :(

Dan

6. Yes sir, mine indeed says BC Rico on the headstock, so I guess I'm now one of the few and pround. Its an excellent bass, although a bit weighty, but its gets an almost Geddy Lee sound from the pickups. I was contemplating on selling it, but I think I might just hold onto it, :).

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    It's a good bass and rare one at that. If anything it will make for quite a bit if conversation when you bring it out at the local jam. :)

Dan

8. anthony servedio

anthony servedio

Feb 11, 2015
    bought my bc rico in early 80's .. eagle body red metallic.. great sound, feel and action.. main instrument through all these years and preferred over my 72 precision and 4003 rickenbacker.. i was told early on that it was a proto-type for the not yet produced bc rich nj series and it is a collector's item.. It definitely is a collector's bass for me and will never part with it although my main player now is my greg weeks signature series bc rich eagle.. unbelieveable beauty worth 3x the price.. anyway would like to know if what i was told long ago is true so any knowledge and replies welcomed !!

9. i've also heard the bc rico story, and have also heard a connection to guitars branded "m bernard" or something like that.