Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B-D-E--A-D-G on a 6 string ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lo lio, Jun 2, 2003.

1. lo lio

lo lio

Apr 10, 2003
    FRANCE 78930
    I'm thinking of adding a low D between the B and the E on my 6 strings and i want to know if someone try this. Is it easy to play ? Thanks.

2. Thumpin4

Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
  3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Why?

I'm assuming that you're thinking of standard B and E strings (producing notes at about 30Hz and about 41Hz respectively), and inserting the D that sits in between (about 37Hz).

You could do it, but I don't think you'd gain anything unless you're looking for some kind of low droning note (in which case I guess you could use the lowest position for a string to be tuned somewhere between C (c. 33Hz) and F (c. 44Hz) and then run the rest as B E A D G... but it still doesn't appeal to me ;)

Wulf

4. seems silly, no offence
    obviously you are not a newbie since you are dicussing 6 string tunings, but if you do that, scales and fret patterns are all thrown out the window! make life way harder!

you can always detune the e if you miss drop d that much, or just play the d on the b string

i dont know, maybe i missed something or youve got something bigger planned

5. Besides the fact that it seems silly, it shouldn't matter how you tune it...just get used to the tuning you are using...
    But what is the purpose of adinga low D??

Wendy

6. i don't think there's any use for a B string if the next one is not E. the only benefit for me is the intervals available, which are screwed up in your tuning. if you use a B for pedal tones, that's another story. otherwise i suggest DEADGC. that way you could protest against Guitar Center while you play! ;)

7. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I'm sure its possible.

I use a hipshot detuner on my E string.

But maybe I'm also missing the point of your idea.

8. The hipshot D-Tuner is a logical thing if you want to add that extra low on your 4 string...

But still...B-D-E on a 6 string???

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Really sounds like you don't need a six string....why take a 6 string, with the tonal range that it has, and then constrict it???? Don't know why you'd want to do that - do you know whay you wanna do it???

10. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    don't waist your time. you'll screw yourself up, and it makes no scence to do this. why? maybe if i REALLY wanted a d string i'd tune up the b, and keep the high c. but no way would i just adda d string.

11. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Tuning a B up to D is asking for trouble, FF. I say go BEADGC and get a Hipshot detuner on the E string.

12. I actually had this thought on my fiver, DEADG, because my B just wasn't working well at the time, and the 3rd fret D wasn't working, so i wanted to downtune an E to have just the open D and D#, then everything else really to be played on the E. I got my B working before I tried this, so I can't give you results, but, to me, anyways, its not that crazy of an idea. I don't know about the B though, I'd go ADEADG to keep that interval the same.

13. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Well, here's my 2 cents. I think you're doing yourself and your bass a great injustice by tuning it that way. Your limiting your playability by literally wasting a string to make some notes easier to play. that's how I see it anyway. Also, I don't think it's good for the bass structurally.

To get the best D sound you would want to tune a B string up to a D, not an E down to a D, try it both ways, you'll see what I mean. This is bad because you're putting a hell of a lot more tension on the bass side of the neck then it was designed for, this can and will cause the neck to twist over time.

I'm not saying it's totally out of the question, but be careful. I don't have twisting problems, but I understand why you want to do this. I have an 8-string bass tuned ADEADGCF, you'll notice that the bottom 2 strings are tuned up a whole step. I did this because those low notes get very flappy and muddy sounding, by tuning them up the strings vibrate more smoothly because there's more tension on them, and, honestly, who needs a low F#, it doesn't even sound good. However, My bass also has dual truss rods and a very fat neck, so I can get away with this without twisting the neck.

To make a long story short. Don't do anything weird like this without really thinking about it, and don't do it because it might be cool, do it for a logical reason that has to do with your playing style and abilities.

Maybe that was more than 2 cents.

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I know where he is coming from on this. Some things written in the drop D position, are simply easier to play, and sound much smoother in an open position.

G--------------------
    D--------------------
    A3-5---3-5-5-3-5-0-3-
    D----0----0-0-------0
    @135bpm

Sure this can be done in standard tuning on a 5 or 6, but from my experience, it is much easier, and sounds much cleaner in an open position.

Edit, first time I ever tried tabbing something, when I post it, it doesn't want to line up.

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    use code and /code in the brackets

[.code]tab[./code]

omit the dots

16. This is pretty much true for almost any song whose bassline was written/played in drop-D tuning. It only takes two seconds to tune and retune anyway. :bassist:

Just don't ever drop that low B down to A. There's enough tineared nu-metal bass players using that tuning to begin with, and they're filling a much needed void. :p

17. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I think we've got some kind of consensus developing here. Makes a nice change :D

Perhaps the original poster would like to come back and share what the motivation was. Even if you now think it's a silly idea, it's not a silly thing to have suggested it.

Wulf

18. lo lio

lo lio

Apr 10, 2003
    FRANCE 78930
    Yes Hello all of you.
    I'm wonder about low B-low D-E-A-D-G because i'm playing in a hard core band and i'm looking for a very loud and low sound with accords (note only playing single notes). I want to know if it would be possible with the scales.
    Actually this 6 strings is tuned E A D G B E (like a guitar) because i want to try and i've got to say that it's very easy to play, with a beautiful sound (6 strings for taping)
    Someone asks why. Why not ? thanks.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - I think nearly every post in this thread has given reasons why not and as wulf said there seems to be a consensus that it was a bad idea!

So after taking the time and trouble to reply, I imagine they were expecting a bit more than : 'why not'! :meh:

20. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Seems as if it would be pretty confusing to me. You lose your level playing field of strings tuned in 4ths.

I'm not sure what you gain, really. If you want to play a low D, you can play it on your B string. Unless, like Wulf says, you want some kind of D drone. But in that case why not just detune the E?