Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B-Day Suprise - Read This!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NJL, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Shadow-box the bass

16 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Flip the nut and restring it so you can gig with it

26 vote(s)
    54.2%
  3. who's willie weeks?

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Aight', check this out.

My girlfriend has been planning a suprise b-day party for me (my b-day was yesterday and the party was today)

Well it was pretty awesome! All my closest friends and family were there.

My girlfriend remembered to tell my oldest brother to get an autographed poster from Willie weeks. (Some of you know that one of my brothers is the FoH eng. for the Dixie Chicks and has worked with a lot of big names..Trisha Yearwood, Nora Jones, Backstreet Boys, etc.).

So what it boiled down to today at the party was that I was opening gifts and my brother's was last, but I didn't see anything, I didn't think he got me anything. I didn't expect him to get me anything, I was just happy to see him at the party and spend time with him. I rarely get to see him. He tells me, "This is from Japan" and pulls out a fender case! I was like "man, you got me a case, cool!!!" I really need a case for my jazz. So he handed it to me and the thing was really heavy! I was thinking inside - oh my g#d! He bought me a bass! So I opened the card that was attached and then I opened the case and there it was a brand new fender five-string p-bass deluxe (the one with the double jazz/smaller music man pickup)!!! Cherry burst - sweeeeeeet!!!

So here's the story: my bro and and his friend benny (the current guitar tech for vince gill - willie weeks is vince's current bass player and I have turned into a very big fan of willie) got together and they talked to a fender rep. He purchased the bass to have willie sign it.

So the Vince gill band was in Japan on tour. The bass got into the hands of willie weeks! I guess benny's job was to get willie to sign the bass. willie ended up trying the bass and kinda liked it better then his own p-bass! willie used the bass a whole week in japan and then signed it. Supposedly, there are photos of willie playing the bass and he's going to autograph those as well and send them to us!!!

I was about to have a heart attack!!! I was in shock! I play lefty (I don't have a choice - so no "you need to play righty" responses kids!) and it was a righty! Even then, I was totally freakin' out!! it has a willie weeks autograph on it - it says "peace, will weeks, 2003"

We took some pics of the bass, my bro and me so i will put the pics up as soon as he emails them to me. I try to put up the pics of willie playing the bass well.

so here's my issue:

do I shadow box the bass or do I reverse the nut and use for gigs (I’m pretty happy with my jazz four sting)??????

What should I do? Supposedly, my bro is going to send my old lady and I to the Austin city limits when vince gill plays and we are supposed to hang out with willie.

If I do shadow box it, should I get another "bigger" autograph on the back of the body and then have a luthier add another layer of clear lacquer????

I’m still freaking out, my brother has never done anything like this before and this bass means a lot to me.

What would you do? My girlfriend pointed out that my brother told me he wants me to gig with it? So I don't know what to do! Playing a right-handed bass upside down is kinda' hard to do! :(

2. #1 - the sounds like the best b-day ever
    #2 - i cant wait for the pics
    #3 - umm...no idea about how to play the righty ^_^

- w00t

3. hey..wait..what do yuo mean shadow box it??~??

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    put it in a glass container to put up in my studio- for viewing purposes.

5. ohhhh...yeah i guess id do that. put it up, then go to your brother and explain it to him and see if he could maby have him sign a lefty and then you could play that. w00t.

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm not sure who Willie Weeks is, but it sounds like you like him. If I were to get Les Claypool's bass as a gift, you could bet that it would be hanging on one of my walls in my house and would never see the outside of my house, much less a gig. :bassist:

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah, that woudl be sweet :D But i think that's pushin it a little. At any rate, fi her really wants you to gig with it, you should try and explain to him that you can only play left :) That is an awesome B-day man!

8. :eek: :eek:

Man, that is one awesome gift! Congrats man, can't wait for the pics!

If I were in your situation, I would put up on display only. I mean, c'mon, it's autographed by the one and only Willie Weeks!!! I wouldn't risk having any damage done to that bass. But that's just my 2 cents...

9. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Play it jimi style. Im not sure what you would have to do, but i would try to reverse the strings, and play it upside down.

I cant really speak for your brother, or willie weeks, but if i ever got someone a gift like that, i would would want it to be played like it was made to, not collect dust in a display case.

10. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    play the the thing!!! thats what it's for:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm not a big fan of les, but if i got one of his basses, i would have the same issue- box it or play it? les is a bad dude!

12. bass27

bass27

Apr 1, 2003
    Tough call man, ordinarilly I'd say play the thing... but the lefty thing adds difficulty... Got to say go with the feel.... do what feels right ....play it or preserve it it's your bass, your call

13. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I would just switch the nut if playing right handed is not an option. Shadow box if you must, but I would recommend that you play that thing. As long as you careful with it, you can keep it in very good shape too.

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    do any of you guys think that getting a luthier to clear coat the body to protect the autograph is going too far?

15. If I got one of Claypool's basses, you could bet your ass I would use it. I know he would want you to use it, I mean I would have the ebony bass of his surgically attached to me, and I would rather play a bass then put it in a display:bassist:

16. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Of course play it, actually slap the piss out of it, but it wouldn't leave my house. You couldn't take a chance of something happening to it, or even worse, someone stealing it. :D

17. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i think i may swing this way. i know at least i'm going to have someone flip the nut.

btw - the tone on this thing is pretty balls to the wall!

18. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    if it were me i would flip the nut and play it jimi style in a heartbeat. but thats me. I believe instruments are made to be played, and if theyre not, they have no value to me.

HOWEVER, it sounds to me like you are very attached to the "collectable" issue. So yes, I would go get it clear coated to protect the autographs, and then play it. You don't have to take it to gigs, but I think its almost a waste not to play it. I know personally that I can keep a bass in near mint condition while taking it to gigs, and im a dumbass, so it cant be too hard.

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    man, i'm horrible with my gear. i have dropped my $300 jazz bass so many times! :eek:

but you have a great point, it should be played, but...

20. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Happy Belated Birthday! Willie Weeks is a great bassist and from what it sounds like, a great guy as well. Not to mention your brother! Box that bad boy!