Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B doesn't fit in the Bridge?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by McHaven, Oct 14, 2005.

1. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    After breaking a string today and having a gig monday, i needed new strings fast. The main guitar shop i usually buy from was closed. So I went to one down the road and got some D'Addario Nickel roundwounds.

Now, I've never used D'Addario or nickels and so far i'm in between on how I like them. I needed them tonight too since I'm out of town until Monday and I need to put several hours of playing onto strings before they sound how I like them to.

I only have one problem with them, I know this happens with Ernie Balls too. I play a 5-string, a SR885 to be exact and well, the B string never fits in the bridge very well. Its string through bridge but the wrapping down at the ball end is usually too big to fit in the hole allowed for it. Now I've got the D'Addarios on and the B has a huge break angle and its actually buzzing on the bridge every time I play the string open.

I never have this problem with the Rotosounds I use and if i remember correctly the B's are both .130 guage.
    So what strings around the same guage have smaller ends?
    Also, just to throw a set up question in here real quick, my action is insanely low at the 1st fret and that area but once I'm past the 12th it is up to a centimeter high which I think is too high. So, I imagine I can't lower the action without having the strings too low in the 1-5 fret range causing fretbuzz, so what could I do to fi that?

2. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Sounds like you need a tapered B. This helps alot. Also when intonating a tapered B you will have to move the saddle forward w/less of a break angle. For now I would try going thru the bridge instead of body til you get a new one

3. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I am going through the bridge. I'll look into tapered B's

4. You need to tweak the truss rod and get that neck layed back a bit. That will get the higher registers more inline with the first fret. I dont know your bass, but typically tightening it ( clockwise) will lay that neck back some.

5. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I had the same problem when installing DR Low Riders in all of my basses. I know it's probably not a good idea, but I used pliers to crush the end a little.

6. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I have a fix for you!!!! I played a SR1205 for some time and ran into the exact same problem. I did use tapers or steps at times but I decided to fix this probem once and for all. I took a dremel with a endmill type cutter (a drill bit would probably do the trick) and routed out the B string hole. It took a whole minute to correct this problem that was giving me fits. As with any drilling or cutting (especially in close quarters) wear safty glasses or goggles. I value my eyesight as you should yours!

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    thanks for the tip, i was hoping to not have to do anything like that but I realize in order to find the strings that work best for me, i'll have to keep trying brands.